Can't access my data drives

DCWalt

Long story short, I have 3 computers. I have My daily driver, my editing rig and a laptop. I was supposed to be moving overseas and needed to consolidate the data from both systems onto my laptop as well as modify a few things. I pulled the data drive out of both desktops as well as the C drive out of the editing rig. It was an NVME SSD that I installed in my laptop as a secondary drive and formatted it... I now realize I really shouldn't have done that yet...

When I went to copy the data from my two data drives onto my laptop using a USB dock, I was greeted with error messages "Location is unavailable. Drive is not accessible. Access is denied." I can't access either drive because of this. Both drives are functional but no matter what I do, I can't figure out how to get into them.

I can't put my editing drive back in it's original machine because I formatted the C drive (STUPID!) and when I put my daily driver's data drive back in, it gives me the same error. I've tried both putting it back inside the computer and using a USB dock. And i've tried both drives on the USB dock on my laptop as well. Same issue.

What do I do to get my data back? 

8 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

Long story short, I have 3 computers. I have My daily driver, my editing rig and a laptop. I was supposed to be moving overseas and needed to consolidate the data from both systems onto my laptop as well as modify a few things. I pulled the data drive out of both desktops as well as the C drive out of the editing rig. It was an NVME SSD that I installed in my laptop as a secondary drive and formatted it... I now realize I really shouldn't have done that yet...

When I went to copy the data from my two data drives onto my laptop using a USB dock, I was greeted with error messages "Location is unavailable. Drive is not accessible. Access is denied." I can't access either drive because of this. Both drives are functional but no matter what I do, I can't figure out how to get into them.

I can't put my editing drive back in it's original machine because I formatted the C drive (STUPID!) and when I put my daily driver's data drive back in, it gives me the same error. I've tried both putting it back inside the computer and using a USB dock. And i've tried both drives on the USB dock on my laptop as well. Same issue.

What do I do to get my data back? 

If the drives are NTFS, It might be just a question of changing permission on them. Unless you encrypted them, in witch case you are probably SOL.

Good luck!

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

3 hours ago, Quickstrike said:

If the drives are NTFS, It might be just a question of changing permission on them. Unless you encrypted them, in witch case you are probably SOL.

Good luck!

How do you change the permissions? i tried already but I'm not sure I did it right

5 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

How do you change the permissions? i tried already but I'm not sure I did it right

Google is your friend:

"change drive permissions windows 10"

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

3 hours ago, Quickstrike said:

Google is your friend:

"change drive permissions windows 10"

gee wow thanks. it's almost like I just told you I did that