Good GPU for a 2nd Gen Core i7

Ryder252

Hey guys, this is my first post!

So I'm working on a retro gaming build(mid-late 2000's and early 2010's @ 1080p) and I'm going to use a Core i7-2600 as it's the best my HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT supports. I realize that I could have a better board for this project, but I'm interested to see what performance I could squeeze out of it as I'm an enthusiast. I'm doing some looking around to find a good non-bottlenecking gpu to pair with it - and if I have to get a more powerful psu than stock then I don't mind. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!

I'm curious about this as well. I have a few 3rd gen i5 Optiplex systems that I got for free from my old job. One is a mid-tower that I want to stuff with hard drives and use as a Plex server, and one is a desktop that I want to use for gaming. The others I might just use for parts.

43 minutes ago, Ryder252 said:

I'm doing some looking around to find a good non-bottlenecking gpu to pair with it

There's no such thing as non-bottlenecking since a GPU/CPU combo will have different usage in various programs, sometimes the CPU will need to contribute more resources and sometimes the GPU.

If you're mostly playing older games, you would get pretty good performance off an RX 570/470.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad