Windscribe VPN Scandal

Good afternoon,

I've been a user of the Windscribe VPN for a while, I work as a software engineer so I found their linkedin page, they seemed like a pretty chill company, so I started using their product.

Just now I wanted to subscribe to Private Internet Access (PIA), since I wasn't 100% satisfied with Windscribe. What I found was that Windscribe literally blocked out the buttons on PIA's site that allowed me to purchase it. Here is a video of the issue.

This is just shitty a practice.

I'll try to find the code that performs this action in the extension, wish me luck. If anyone wants to give it a go and see what's going on here, help is appreciated!

lmao what? just because some JS doesnt work with your VPN enabled makes this a scandal?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Welp literally never ran into the issue of "JS not working" because I have Windscribe enabled, except on PIA. There is also absolutely no reason for that to happen. I'm looking through the code trying to find what's blocking this, but from what I've seen it's more likely than not that it's just a shitty business practice

3 minutes ago, qoobes said:

Just now I wanted to subscribe to Private Internet Access (PIA), since I wasn't 100% satisfied with Windscribe. What I found was that Windscribe literally blocked out the buttons on PIA's site that allowed me to purchase it.

I wouldn't be quick to blame Windscribe for this. There may be another explanation.

What location were you connected to with Windscribe? That element on PIA's website is based on your location (from your IP address) to show the pricing of the plans in your local currency. When I view that page it shows prices in AUD as I'm from Australia. I wonder if it's just not displaying because it cannot determine your location properly or if it thinks you're in a region that they don't service.

Try with some other VPN provider websites to see if they also have issues when using Windscribe.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Levent said:

lmao what? just because some JS doesnt work with your VPN enabled makes this a scandal?

To be fair, I don't think I've ever had JS break like this with a VPN.

It's possible that they have something in the VPN settings that automatically blocks trackers/ads/malware, which mistakenly blocks PIA as well.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

I wouldn't be quick to blame Windscribe for this. There may be another explanation.

What location were you connected to with Windscribe? That element on PIA's website is based on your location (from your IP address) to show the pricing of the plans in your local currency. When I view that page it shows prices in AUD as I'm from Australia. I wonder if it's just not displaying because it cannot determine your location properly or if it thinks you're in a region that they don't service.

Try with some other VPN provider websites to see if they also have issues when using Windscribe.

I did try changing the location of the VPN just now and yeah, same issue. Also the VPN locale I was using was my own country.

I definitely did jump the gun here but I'm excited about this kind of stuff!

Yes the Chrome app blocks ads, trackers etc and as all of such things might get stuff wrong. 

If you actually use Windscribe at system level there's no such issue. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 9:12 PM, NunoLava1998 said:

To be fair, I don't think I've ever had JS break like this with a VPN.

It's possible that they have something in the VPN settings that automatically blocks trackers/ads/malware, which mistakenly blocks PIA as well.

They have ROBERT DNS which is their adblocking dns (PIA also has adblocking DNS too), the blocking of the buttons of PIA's site could come down to the list they use and false positives might occur.