Pc won’t turn on but for a split second

Calvin Harris

My pc has been working great since I got it. It’s a build redux pc and I got home from work and wanted to play and it turned on for a split second then turned off and the motherboard light stayed on and so did the power button. And it worked fine yesterday no issues I can’t think of any reason it won’t turn on for more then a second 

Motherboard or PSU. Likely PSU.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

29 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Motherboard or PSU. Likely PSU.

maybe, but a bit of a leap off the bat without trying anything first.

50 minutes ago, Calvin Harris said:

My pc has been working great since I got it. It’s a build redux pc and I got home from work and wanted to play and it turned on for a split second then turned off and the motherboard light stayed on and so did the power button. And it worked fine yesterday no issues I can’t think of any reason it won’t turn on for more then a second 

did you try the basics, like clearing cmos, trying with one stick of ram at a time in different slots? if not, try those.

27 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

maybe, but a bit of a leap off the bat without trying anything first.

did you try the basics, like clearing cmos, trying with one stick of ram at a time in different slots? if not, try those.

How do I clear cmos

8 minutes ago, Calvin Harris said:

How do I clear cmos

You just need to unplug your system from the wall, take out your CMOS battery for about a minute, and then put it back in.

The CMOS battery is a round silver battery on your motherboard that powers your BIOS chip (which keeps your BIOS settings) after you turn off your PC. Taking it out resets your BIOS settings, even if you don't have access to the BIOS menu.

Some motherboards also have a 'clear CMOS' jumper or button, which does the same thing; however, this is usually only present on high end motherboards, and your motherboard likely doesn't have it if it's a prebuilt.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Some may require longer than a minute, I'm told some can take ten. And sure, clearing CMOS is a good early check, maybe try pressing on the RAM and GPU to be sure they are seated properly and making contact, as cooling cycles sometimes can mess with this if sitting a long time. But on the surface, it kinda sounds like weak PSU capacitors to me.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

8 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

Some may require longer than a minute, I'm told some can take ten. And sure, clearing CMOS is a good early check, maybe try pressing on the RAM and GPU to be sure they are seated properly and making contact, as cooling cycles sometimes can mess with this if sitting a long time. But on the surface, it kinda sounds like weak PSU capacitors to me.

Well I left it unplugged overnight and plugged it up just to see what would happen and it turned on and i got to home screen then it decided to shut off and went back to doing what it was doing 

I shouldn't think CMOS would have helped a power supply issue. Kinda sounds like motherboard, possibly. But it's possible the power supply has more than one issue. Bad capacitors can struggle with startup surge load, and the output can certainly falter or shut down under thermal.

Here's a video on how to test a PSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr70VyoACPg

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!