Issues with my power supply i think?

SnowEnthusiast

Here to just get some clarity before doing anything, recently my pc has been freezing up, i turn off my pc and turn it back on to see 2 things happen, my keyboard and mouse light flashing and my monitor showing a black screen. It does eventually fix itself (after turning it on and off multiple times) however it's become a consistent problem. I am wondering what the issue is for my pc, my strongest bit of evidence for this being my power supply is me unplugging usb's which tends to fix the rebooting pc issue and also that when i unplugged the psu cable and replugged it into a different socket, my pc fans went haywire and i had to replug the cable into the old socket.

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

What's your specs and PSU?

and, what does "my pc fans went haywire" mean?

haywire as in the fans went to what i'm guessing is 100% speed and made a very loud noise, also specs are rtx 2060, i5-9400F, 16gig ddr4 ram, ssd 250 gig and 1 tera hdd. For my pcu i think it's a aerox 500 watt supply, might be the 700 but i doubt it so we'll assume i have 500 watt.

4 hours ago, SnowEnthusiast said:

also that when i unplugged the psu cable and replugged it into a different socket, my pc fans went haywire and i had to replug the cable into the old socket.

The power cable from the wall to the computer or a cable in the computer?

4 hours ago, SnowEnthusiast said:

aerox 500 watt

Can't find anything about it. You mean Aerocool or Approx? Do you have a picture of the label?

11 hours ago, RollyShed said:

The power cable from the wall to the computer or a cable in the computer?

wall to the computer

6 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Can't find anything about it. You mean Aerocool or Approx? Do you have a picture of the label?

cylon aerox 500 watt

9 minutes ago, SnowEnthusiast said:

cylon aerox 500 watt

Aerocool Cylon 500w. A terrible PSU that you shouldn't have bought in the first place.

16 minutes ago, Caroline said:

As for the USB seemingly "fixing" it, idk, a ground fault?

Motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

17 hours ago, SnowEnthusiast said:

Here to just get some clarity before doing anything, recently my pc has been freezing up, i turn off my pc and turn it back on to see 2 things happen, my keyboard and mouse light flashing and my monitor showing a black screen. It does eventually fix itself (after turning it on and off multiple times) however it's become a consistent problem. I am wondering what the issue is for my pc, my strongest bit of evidence for this being my power supply is me unplugging usb's which tends to fix the rebooting pc issue and also that when i unplugged the psu cable and replugged it into a different socket, my pc fans went haywire and i had to replug the cable into the old socket.

Sounds like a motherboard issue.

1 hour ago, SnowEnthusiast said:

cylon aerox 500 watt

As others have said, this is an absolutely terrible PSU.  So start there, whether it's actually the root cause or not, and then if the problem persists, I bet the motherboard is toast.

thank you for all the help, i'll first get a new psu and then if the problem persists i'll look towards a new motherboard 🙂

If plugging in to a different wall socket made a difference, there is either something wrong with either your power cable, wall to computer, or the wall sockets aren't wired correctly.

We don't know what country you are in but some countries have very poor wiring standards. What happens if you plug something else into the two wall sockets (one at a time). A lamp, a fan, an electric kettle - do they work correctly?

Have you got another wall to computer cable to try? If so try that too.

I presume you do not have a DVM as if you had, you could do some checking of the wall supply under load.

It is far more important to get those bits right before buying PSUs and motherboards.