PS5 Crashing in Rest mode

For some reason my ps5 keeps crashing in rest mode. I've tried disabling "HDMI Device link" and "supply power to USB ports", but neither has worked. My PS5 is on a UPS, so I know that it isn't an issue with electricity/power going out. Is there something obvious that I am missing? Or do I just have a bad PS5?

On 8/11/2022 at 2:40 PM, ki8aras said:

could it be overheating?

From what I can tell, it isn't. I would expect the fan to be significantly noisier if it was. So far with supply power to USB ports disabled it seems to be fine. That said... I haven't been able to test it for a long period of time. The only thing I can think of is that when I'm gaming on my PC it is causing the ps5 to crash because my ps5 and PC are on the same UPS. That said I would think that this situation is kinda what they are designed for...

Edited by sharknado34
Added pertinent information

7 hours ago, sharknado34 said:

From what I can tell, it isn't. I would expect the fan to be significantly noisier if it was. So far with supply power to USB ports disabled it seems to be fine. That said... I haven't been able to test it for a long period of time. The only thing I can think of is that when I'm gaming on my PC it is causing the ps5 to crash because my ps5 and PC are on the same UPS. That said I would think that this situation is kinda what they are designed for...

even if you found the problem i wouldn't recommend trying anything yourself (given you're under warranty)

Disabling HDMI device link should have resolved any HDMI "CEC" issues, but mine gets unhappy if I tell it to go into rest mode, then turn off the TV. I have to turn the TV off, signaling the PS5 to go into rest mode. I guess double "rest" signals freak it out?

I also switch inputs on the TV before doing this so that if I turn on the TV for my Chromecast/PS3, it won't turn on the PS5. 

On 8/13/2022 at 10:00 AM, Colty said:

Disabling HDMI device link should have resolved any HDMI "CEC" issues, but mine gets unhappy if I tell it to go into rest mode, then turn off the TV. I have to turn the TV off, signaling the PS5 to go into rest mode. I guess double "rest" signals freak it out?

I also switch inputs on the TV before doing this so that if I turn on the TV for my Chromecast/PS3, it won't turn on the PS5. 

So your ps5 still gets unhappy putting into rest mode then turning off tv with HDMI CEC disabled? Idk. At this point I'm pretty frustrated. I'm moving to a different state soon so I just hope that Sony will honor their warranty when I'm moved. I guess I shouldn't expect perfection, but this just... Ridiculous.

6 hours ago, sharknado34 said:

So your ps5 still gets unhappy putting into rest mode then turning off tv with HDMI CEC disabled? Idk. At this point I'm pretty frustrated. I'm moving to a different state soon so I just hope that Sony will honor their warranty when I'm moved. I guess I shouldn't expect perfection, but this just... Ridiculous.

The PS5 gets unhappy being told to go into rest mode (through the system UI) and then turning off the TV when CEC is enabled.

I just need to let the TV (through CEC/device link) tell the PS5 to go into rest mode.

Not using rest mode might be your best option. I know it's frustrating, rest mode is super convenient, but short of the warranty route, idk what else you can do.

I'd assume it's a software issue, but I'd be curious what happens if you do RMA it.