Is my MSI X570s Ace Max a brick?

Skorpz

So,

Trying to see if the stuff i have for my build boots.

CPU is a 5950x, PSU is an ASUS ROG THOR 1200, and the Motherboard is a MSI MEG X570s ACE MAX.

Tried to put it together outside the case, PSU draws power, Motherboard is powered, i try to turn it on, led's go on for a second and then everything turns off again. No further reaction, tried turning PSU on and off, nothing, Reset, nothing, Clear CMOS it does the flash thing again, then dead. CPU,GPU,RAM all in order, using Dual Channel, shouldn't be an issue.

Now what do i do, send it back for a new one? Is it a BIOS thing? is my PSU bad? idk, i have no spare parts atm to test things out so would like some tips on how to fix the issue if anyone recognizes it.

Thanks in advance

12 minutes ago, Skorpz said:

Now what do i do, send it back for a new one? Is it a BIOS thing? is my PSU bad?

image.thumb.png.87121bcc9c041f4e03fc67659cd07ab0.png

please check your debug lights it will tell you whats going on. Furthermore you could post a picture of your system how it is installed so we can check if you forgot to plug something into it

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

23 minutes ago, SamClan said:

image.thumb.png.87121bcc9c041f4e03fc67659cd07ab0.png

please check your debug lights it will tell you whats going on. Furthermore you could post a picture of your system how it is installed so we can check if you forgot to plug something into it

as i said, Led's flash, this includes the debug led's and error code panel. as for cables, the 24pin mobo cable was properly attached, the 2x8 cpu power was properly inserted, RAM in the DIMM 2's as indicated on the motherboard, and had a gpu inserted and powered in case of boot, 1x8 pin pci-e

that is super weird,

might sound stupid but have you plugged your CPU Fan into the cpu fan headder? 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

Sounds like the power supply may also be a suspect. If the box for the motherboard says Ryzen 5000 series ready, then you won't have a bios compatibility issue.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, SamClan said:

that is super weird,

might sound stupid but have you plugged your CPU Fan into the cpu fan headder? 

Have a ROG Ryujin II 360 AIO, fans connect to the hub, do i have to connect the hub to the CPU fan header?

That should go into the pump headder. 

I read about a similar problem as yours. The system went into save mode or something called like it. 

You had to do some steps to get it running.

And it was because of the CPU cooler not plugged in. 

20 hours ago, SamClan said:

That should go into the pump headder. 

I read about a similar problem as yours. The system went into save mode or something called like it. 

You had to do some steps to get it running.

And it was because of the CPU cooler not plugged in. 

will try this weekend, thanks, hope it works

UPDATE:

know more about what's going on, so, the board semi POST's, no better way to describe it, plugging something in the cpu fan header did not change the issue, for reference, am using the ASUS ROG Ryujin II 360 and Lian LI SL Uni fans.

The board definitely gets power, all leds go on, then after a couple tries, it stayed on, ran through some post codes, and then randomly shut off again. tried to recreate this to find the possible post code that causes it but no luck, it changes every time and shuts off at random intervals, kinda hear a click as if a switch is triggered every time it shuts itself off again.

Note, CPU Error led is on from the beginning, took it out and tried reseating it, same issue. pins are straight and a clean socket, no idea what tf is up and system does not stay powered long enough to find out.

in the middle of writing this update, i tried to power the MB again and this time it got stuck on code 10 before ultimately once again, dying.

just how tf am i going to get to post???/

6 minutes ago, Skorpz said:

UPDATE:

know more about what's going on, so, the board semi POST's, no better way to describe it, plugging something in the cpu fan header did not change the issue, for reference, am using the ASUS ROG Ryujin II 360 and Lian LI SL Uni fans.

The board definitely gets power, all leds go on, then after a couple tries, it stayed on, ran through some post codes, and then randomly shut off again. tried to recreate this to find the possible post code that causes it but no luck, it changes every time and shuts off at random intervals, kinda hear a click as if a switch is triggered every time it shuts itself off again.

Note, CPU Error led is on from the beginning, took it out and tried reseating it, same issue. pins are straight and a clean socket, no idea what tf is up and system does not stay powered long enough to find out.

in the middle of writing this update, i tried to power the MB again and this time it got stuck on code 10 before ultimately once again, dying.

just how tf am i going to get to post???/

Hi!

I'd like to try and assist you, but can you provide the Complete system specs please. 

2 things un mentioned as well, the bios revision and the memory. Both super important tidbits of info also.

7 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Hi!

I'd like to try and assist you, but can you provide the Complete system specs please. 

2 things un mentioned as well, the bios revision and the memory. Both super important tidbits of info also.

CPU: RYZEN 5950X

MOBO: MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX

RAM: Currently for testing, CORSAIR VENGANCE 2X8 3200MHZ

GPU: Currently for testing: GIGABYTE RTX 3050 8G (triple fan)

PSU: ASUS ROG THOR 1200W

AIO: ASUS ROG RYUJIN II 360

FANS: LIAN LI SL 120

STORAGE: SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB (BOOT)

SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB (MASS)

idk what bios is on there, it doesnt post so idk how to check

1 minute ago, Skorpz said:

CPU: RYZEN 5950X

MOBO: MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX

RAM: Currently for testing, CORSAIR VENGANCE 2X8 3200MHZ

GPU: Currently for testing: GIGABYTE RTX 3050 8G (triple fan)

PSU: ASUS ROG THOR 1200W

AIO: ASUS ROG RYUJIN II 360

FANS: LIAN LI SL 120

STORAGE: SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB (BOOT)

SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB (MASS)

idk what bios is on there, it doesnt post so idk how to check

OK, So I'm guessing it's got the factory shipped bios installed on it if you've never updated it.

Once you get your parts back, update the bios through the flash back USB port.

You can do the flash with nothing installed, just the motherboard power connectors. 

Once you've completed the flash, assemble the rig and give it a whirl.

The memory is installed in A2 and B2 slots or the second and forth slots (in case you didn't know that)

But I think a flash is all you need.

4 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

OK, So I'm guessing it's got the factory shipped bios installed on it if you've never updated it.

Once you get your parts back, update the bios through the flash back USB port.

You can do the flash with nothing installed, just the motherboard power connectors. 

Once you've completed the flash, assemble the rig and give it a whirl.

The memory is installed in A2 and B2 slots or the second and forth slots (in case you didn't know that)

But I think a flash is all you need.

i hope so, flashig as we speak, thanks man

• 3 weeks later...

Motherboard seems fine since the exact same issue is displayed with another MB, so the culprit is the PSU though no idea how or why it is. the THOR 1200 is supposed to be a reliable PSU though is switches off every time it powers on like there is an internal short or breaker going off.