Sizing the pump to run a loop through a water heater

Hello, i'm currently in the process of building a watercooling loop using a heater like linus did a while ago, the idea would be to use it passively to heat up my room and also bc i really like diy-ing stuff. One of my concerns however is whether or not i'll need a beefy pump to run the loop. Bc of the height difference i might need a big of power to run it, i was thinking of maybe using pumps in parallel with valves to cut the sister pump route in case it fails but i'm not sure, i've read online that these pumps aren't weak either so i'm torn and i lack information to really make a decision hence why i'm posting here, if you know anything about this don't hesitate to give your input, thanks in advance. 🙂

(the heater i'll use, it's aluminium)

FZ4Op7OX0AoWsaa.thumb.jpg.89692d9cb9c55cab25b0d8e880258c75.jpg

here's some specs in case you're interested
CPU: ryzen 7 1700x
GPU: gigabyte windforce 2x RTX2070
RAM: 32 gigs

2 minutes ago, Richard Couille said:

Bc of the height difference

actually kind of a misnomer, the height difference doesnt matter, because of fluid dynamics. essentially the water is pushing down on one side equal to the amount of force you need to move it up the other side.

beyond that, i'd give it a go with a regular (high quality) watercooling pump, from what i've seen they are made quite well, and unfortunately all too often the alternatives arent...

A standard water cooling loop will dissipate the exact same amount of heat into your room, and doesn't come with all the problems that using this as a radiator will bring. I'd really suggest not going forward with this.

That being said, I think a standard DDC pump could push water through that, but getting a more powerful pump with more head pressure wouldn't hurt.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

30 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

A standard water cooling loop will dissipate the exact same amount of heat into your room

i glossed over that bit.. yes, this is a thing.

30 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

A standard water cooling loop will dissipate the exact same amount of heat into your room, and doesn't come with all the problems that using this as a radiator will bring. I'd really suggest not going forward with this.

That being said, I think a standard DDC pump could push water through that, but getting a more powerful pump with more head pressure wouldn't hurt.

i know a more regular setup would be less hassle but i just wanna diy it lol, i love tinkering with stuff. Plus my case isn't really built for watercooling

26 minutes ago, Richard Couille said:

i know a more regular setup would be less hassle but i just wanna diy it lol, i love tinkering with stuff. Plus my case isn't really built for watercooling

If you're going forward with it anyway I'd say your biggest priority should be finding aluminum GPU and CPU blocks. Mixing aluminum and copper (or nickel plated copper like most water blocks) in a water loop will cause galvanic corrosion. You'll either need to fill the loop with premixed coolants with corrosion inhibitors or use corrosion inhibiting additives. I think those additives can be found from automotive companies. Even this isn't perfect, so if you have copper blocks you're eventually going to get corrosion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

20 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

If you're going forward with it anyway I'd say your biggest priority should be finding aluminum GPU and CPU blocks. Mixing aluminum and copper (or nickel plated copper like most water blocks) in a water loop will cause galvanic corrosion. You'll either need to fill the loop with premixed coolants with corrosion inhibitors or use corrosion inhibiting additives. I think those additives can be found from automotive companies. Even this isn't perfect, so if you have copper blocks you're eventually going to get corrosion.

Sadly my GPU only has one option for a waterblock and it's nickel-plated copper so that'll have to do :/. Can't really find aluminium AM4 waterblocks either so i'm considering making a heat exchanger to avoid making a battery with the heater and just settle on a normal nickel plated CPU waterblock idk.

The only aluminium related waterblock i found was this and it just says "aluminum anode" so i'm iffy about it.
https://www.amazon.com/Waterblock-Temperature-Display-Cooling-Aluminum/dp/B07R4JTH65/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1OKFYCV0LKL7E&keywords=am4+aluminum+waterblock&qid=1660310578&sprefix=am4+aluminum+waterblock%2Caps%2C128&sr=8-3

That heater will probably be less restrictive than a normal pc radiator or mo-ra. A d5 or dual d5 will work ok-great. Compared to modern cpu/gpu blocks almost all radiators are the least of your pump problems.

I would certainly run more than one pump if you are going to cool with that plus have 3 blocks.

But my bigger concern is if that has aluminum internals. You will introduce galvanic corrosion unless you source a coolant solution made for mixed metal loops. Regular off the shelf PC coolant is NOT that. ModMyMods will mix up something that works with aluminum if you reach out to them. Also, can look at mixing your own with the right automotive antifreeze.

Personally I think you are just asking to have a maintenance nightmare down the road.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

1 hour ago, Sir Beregond said:

I would certainly run more than one pump if you are going to cool with that plus have 3 blocks.

But my bigger concern is if that has aluminum internals. You will introduce galvanic corrosion unless you source a coolant solution made for mixed metal loops. Regular off the shelf PC coolant is NOT that. ModMyMods will mix up something that works with aluminum if you reach out to them. Also, can look at mixing your own with the right automotive antifreeze.

Personally I think you are just asking to have a maintenance nightmare down the road.

Yeah I did more research and some people say that it's fine long as I get proper anti-corrosive, I saw some automotive grade stuff online and since I'm wayyyyy too deep into it now I might as well just do it lol. OR I separate the radiator and components with a heat exchanger and not worry about it ever (hopefully). On one hand I pray the simultaneous-waterblocks-meltdown away with funny car liquid or get twice the points of failures, I might just do both to be sure.

Ummmm...those radiators rely on the water or oil or whatever is really hot to literally radiate heat via infrared and convection.  PC watercooling won't be like that so you're not going to see a lot of dissipation here.  I guess technically you will...eventually...but your components aren't going to like 70C water temperature.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)