New build with upgrade path

Max Eckhardt
8 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I expect that the 5600X will age great for 60fps gaming this console gen considering it has a slightly better Passmark score than the Ryzen 7 3700X, which is like an overclocked version of the current gen console cpus. And it has a much better single core score. So I imagine 7600X will be plenty too considering it should improve on the 5600X. If you're really worried about not having 8C/16T though the $313 i7-12700F is probably going to be the cheapest way to ensure hitting that minimum baseline and there is just no way that chip won't keep up the console cpus for 60 fps gaming. It completely monsters the Ryzen 7 3700X.

The 7600X? Interesting. My current cpu is an i5 4570K which I’ve had since early 2014. If figure that since PC games development isn’t as efficient as consoles since they are the target environment building with CPU’s and GPU’s at least 50z faster is the safe way to go. But it’s interesting that despite the last gen consoles having (weak) 8 core CPU’s and this generation consoles also having 8 core CPU’s, game developers largely seem to ignore those cores. That could change I guess once development switches to Unreal Engine 5.

I think I’d feel happier going with AMD over Intel this time since AM5 is the start of a new socket for AMD whereas 13th gen Intel CPU’s are the last in their ageing socket.