Buzzing noise from somewhere between CPU and GPU

Go to solution Solved by DoctorNick,
23 minutes ago, Caprimulga said:

Hello, I guess my hope of posting - is to make sure PC is safe to use.

I have checked similar topics, which is similar:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1412987-strange-noise-from-the-gpu-area-buzzing/#comment-15270020

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1143166-buzzing-noise-coming-from-the-case/#comment-13197945

My questions:

• maybe for starters need some confirmation - IS that a coil whine?
  • any advise on how to fix that? It appeared today, but PC was used with current parts, for at two months.
    • and if it's coil whine - can it be related to the new games/software installed? It was the only thing that changed

Problem and troubleshooting steps:

When PC is on higher load - somewhere from the are between CPU and GPU buzzing noise started appearing.

The noise itself: 

Recording consists of three parts:

0) Started random high demanding game (e.g. "Red dead redemption", new "Tower of Fantasy", "Assassins Valhalla")

1) Buzz started, it is constant.

2) Alt-tab'ed and started anything to get windows account control pop-up. The noise becomes more like "clicking".

3) Closed pop-up - back to initial noise.

From task manager, it looks like utilization matches the change of noise:

image.png.b11043e0f11320cc0fa7b8c28fa0b7f3.png

For GPU I was a bit late to grab a screenshot, but also can see when noise changes in the video:

image.png.406243cfe339a128db50632f8077f6d3.png

Then I have tried to run CPU and GPU benchmarks simultaneously:

> when only CPU running 100% - no noise

> when only GPU or CPU and GPU running, both 100% - lower noise, like half of it

And I'm pretty sure sound is not coming from the PSU - PSU is in bottom compartment, and it can be heard coming out of top of the PC case. When opened - sound is somewhere in the middle.

And as tested with WIndows prompt - it immediatelly reacts, so I don't think it is some kind of vibration resonanse.

And yes, "manually" tested all the coolers, nope, not them.

PC parts:

BE QUIET STRAIGHT POWER 11 1000W

Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

POWERCOLOR Devil RX 6900XT

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

Fractal Design Meshify C

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1412987-strange-noise-from-the-gpu-area-buzzing/#comment-15270020

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1143166-buzzing-noise-coming-from-the-case/#comment-13197945

My questions:

• any advise on how to fix that? It appeared today, but PC was used with current parts, for at two months.
    • and if it's coil whine - can it be related to the new games/software installed? It was the only thing that changed

When PC is on higher load - somewhere from the are between CPU and GPU buzzing noise started appearing.

The noise itself: 

0) Started random high demanding game (e.g. "Red dead redemption", new "Tower of Fantasy", "Assassins Valhalla")

2) Alt-tab'ed and started anything to get windows account control pop-up. The noise becomes more like "clicking".

For GPU I was a bit late to grab a screenshot, but also can see when noise changes in the video:

> when only GPU or CPU and GPU running, both 100% - lower noise, like half of it

And I'm pretty sure sound is not coming from the PSU - PSU is in bottom compartment, and it can be heard coming out of top of the PC case. When opened - sound is somewhere in the middle.

And as tested with WIndows prompt - it immediatelly reacts, so I don't think it is some kind of vibration resonanse.

PC parts:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

Fractal Design Meshify C

To me it sounds like a slightly loose fan bearing that becomes audible when your fans spin up at specific RPMs

fan curves can be weird, even if you are only making our your CPU it may not go full speed or maybe the speed it like 95% full speed..... From the video i wouldnt say it is coil whine, but it's hard to tell with a video of course.

23 minutes ago, Caprimulga said:

My questions:

The noise itself: 

PC parts:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

Fractal Design Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

15 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

To me it sounds like a slightly loose fan bearing that becomes audible when your fans spin up at specific RPMs

fan curves can be weird, even if you are only making our your CPU it may not go full speed or maybe the speed it like 95% full speed..... From the video i wouldnt say it is coil whine, but it's hard to tell with a video of course.

I have tried changing GPU fan speeds, no effect on noise. Also simply touched CPU fan - no effect (unless bearings still try to output same amount of power). Only thing that couldn't reach - motherboard fan. But my assumption was it's not a fan, as noise immediatelly reacts, you can hear mouse click, aaaand immediatelly different noise. Fans shouldn't be that quick to react.

5 minutes ago, Caprimulga said:

I have tried changing GPU fan speeds, no effect on noise. Also simply touched CPU fan - no effect (unless bearings still try to output same amount of power). Only thing that couldn't reach - motherboard fan. But my assumption was it's not a fan, as noise immediatelly reacts, you can hear mouse click, aaaand immediatelly different noise. Fans shouldn't be that quick to react.

Sounds like GPU coil whine to me. (which is normal)

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.