Jump to content

Can my laptop handle Windows 10/8? (HP Elitebook 8460p)

HQuan
 Share

So recently i just fixed a SATA port of my old laptop HP Elitebook 8460p.

And im gonna install Windows 10 or 8 on it.

 

Sooooo I make a windows 10 install Usb and plug it in the laptop.

But thing goes wrong...

5-10s after the boot logo, the screen just display some weird artifact.

 

So I create another iso, put on the usb, and give a try. Still like that.

 

After that, I asked my friend (who work in a repair shop). He told me that laptop cant handle Windows 10. But even through I managed to install it, it will lost some shortcut.feature.

 

Is that true? And is there any other way I can install Windows 10 on it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, HQuan said:

After that, I asked my friend (who work in a repair shop). He told me that laptop cant handle Windows 10. But even through I managed to install it, it will lost some shortcut.feature.

I seriously doubt what they said.

 

Fairly certain this laptop can handle W10. The screen artifacting you describe must be a totally different issue.

 

Dumb question, but just to be sure you're going into the bios and selecting your USB drive as the boot option, right? I hope you didn't just plug it in and smashed the power button..

 

26 minutes ago, HQuan said:

And is there any other way I can install Windows 10 on it?

There is none that I know of.

Edited by RockSolid1106

"Coding skill isn’t about knowing how to make things; It’s about being able to find the right Stack Overflow code to copy paste."

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

your laptop has a 2nd gen intel chip, it should be able to run windows 10 just fine

 

the artifacting problem could be a driver issue, a picture of the artifacting could help us diagnose it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

one of my daily driver laptops is a first gen i5 and I've refurbished and sold several 2nd-4th gen machines like yours. The Windows experience is fine. What your friend said isn't quite right, if you could post a picture of the artifact...

I'm not a professional, just an enthusiast. I don't know everything.

HGST Ultrastar: The last HDD you'll ever need to buy (and the one I always recommend).

Schrödinger's CPU: The Q9650. Is it irrelevant? Is it not? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HQuan said:

-snip-

I tried to install Windows on my first gen i7 980X machine, it had crusty thermal paste, and the watercooling was broken. As soon as Windows tried to install, it would power off. Why? The CPU was overheating installing Windows. try replacing your thermal paste.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

 

 

22 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

 

 

23 hours ago, ki8aras said:

 

Thanks for you all answer. Actually my laptop cant read and boot from the Windows 10 usb (idk what reason, maybe firmware outdated?).

 

(Bad english warning)

 

So I take out my old windows 10 recovery disk and put it in, and it... boot normally. So I open cmd, open notepad, plug the usb in, and run the setup.exe file. (I was expecting it gonna not work), but out of my suprise, it just... work like nothing happened. Im installing it right now, when I write this. 

 

(I might replace the thermal paste too).

Thanks for you guy help. I very appreciate it.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2022 at 1:43 PM, HQuan said:

 

 

Thanks for you all answer. Actually my laptop cant read and boot from the Windows 10 usb (idk what reason, maybe firmware outdated?).

 

(Bad english warning)

 

So I take out my old windows 10 recovery disk and put it in, and it... boot normally. So I open cmd, open notepad, plug the usb in, and run the setup.exe file. (I was expecting it gonna not work), but out of my suprise, it just... work like nothing happened. Im installing it right now, when I write this. 

 

(I might replace the thermal paste too).

Thanks for you guy help. I very appreciate it.

 

 

 

such an old system obviously doesnt have a uefi bios, so when creating your bootable media be sure to select a BIOS target system (for example when using rufus)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×