Jump to content

extreme WIFI disconnectivity on dell precision m6800

Go to solution Solved by Chiyawa,
13 hours ago, JanGLi said:

1st - when they fail? i believe they shouldn't be working at all right? its not like that a failed wifi card will work for an hour and than doesn't work next 5 mins....

Likely the card overheated at one point, then shut itself down to cool itself. Once it is cool enough, it starts to operate again. That's why I say it rarely happens, but it could. I encountered a few with the same issue (although you can't really feel it as most of the time the chip is not in direct contact with the metallic shielding), but the board is strangely warm.

 

13 hours ago, JanGLi said:

2nd - i don't think so this is the scene with me.... ms6800 is quite a heavy machine... i barely move it... using it like a desktop.

Micro cracks. As the cable is twisting when you open or close the lid, it can happen. I haven't encountered any of this, but I knew some cheaper laptops have this issue, especially net books.

 

13 hours ago, JanGLi said:

3rd - scan went with 100% verification

4th -  i believe stopping wifi from taskbar is similar like stopping it from command...

Okay, looks like Windows seems to function properly. We can rule out that for now.

 

13 hours ago, JanGLi said:

Any clue how can i check if I could get a wifi 6 card for dell precision m6800

Well, for starters, your system uses mini PCIe card, which is a generation old. I believe that the best you can go is Wi-Fi 5 or AC for this type. You can get a USB Wi-Fi one if you like.

https://www.tp-link.com/my/home-networking/adapter/archer-tx20u-plus/

https://www.dlink.com/en/products/dwa-x1850-ax1800-wi-fi-6-usb-adapter

https://www.asus.com/my/Networking-IoT-Servers/Adapters/All-series/USB-AX56/

https://www.totolink.net/home/menu/newstpl/menu_newstpl/products/id/224.html

 

Hope that helps.

 

Regards,

Chiyawa

 

hi,

 

I have dell precision m6800; with dual band wireless-AC 7260. I have been using it for nearly 2+ years but since day 1 my internet gets disconnected on it's own. I have to stop the wifi from task manager and start the wifi again and connected to my available wifi; some times i have to disconnect/connect several times.

At first i thought i am sitting further from the wifi or my wifi router is over whelmed or this could be windows 10 playing tricks with me or maybe driver isn't compatible with window 10. But now i am starting to doubt the my wifi device/card is not in 100% working condition.

First kindly guide what could be the possible  reason for this constant disconnectivity?

Secondly if this is my WIFI device/card i am thinking of buying a new device. Kindly guide should I go for the wifi card which will be plugged in motherboard? or for some latest wifi adapter of tp link or d-link AC-1300 or so or could go for  wifi 6 adapter? would my system even be able to fully use the latest wifi 6 speed? (yes i will by wifi 6 router later =D ).

JanGli_0-1659971614949.png

If i have to go for the built in one... which one is the best among the provided list of by dell ? attached a  screen shot of the wifi from dell precision manual m6800 or could i go for some other not mentioned, latest in-built card? if yes kindly do guide on this as well.

 

Thanks in advance guys and really appreciate your help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some issue with Dell wireless card (DW1540) so I would caution you on those.

 

Anyway, there are a few things that could cause this problem.

1st is your Wi-Fi card (they do fail, but it will be very rare)

2nd is your antenna connection (the cable can break, especially near the hinge).

3rd is Windows file corrupt. You can run SFC /scannow from command prompt to check for issues.

4th is to reset network shell (reset socket). I've forgotten much about it but you can try searching for netsh command.

 

You should get back the original Intel Wireless AC 7260, it is by far the most stable and the fastest in terms of speed and connectivity.

 

I don't think Wi-Fi 6 comes in mini PCIe card. If you're going to go for Wi-Fi 6, your best bet is to use USB Wi-Fi 6 dongle.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

 

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and one more thing, if you are using Intel Pro set Wireless software (or any kind of WiFi monitoring software from Intel), uninstall it. They work great in Windows 7 but not Windows 10.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

 

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, JanGLi said:

hi,

 

I have dell precision m6800; with dual band wireless-AC 7260. I have been using it for nearly 2+ years but since day 1 my internet gets disconnected on it's own. I have to stop the wifi from task manager and start the wifi again and connected to my available wifi; some times i have to disconnect/connect several times.

At first i thought i am sitting further from the wifi or my wifi router is over whelmed or this could be windows 10 playing tricks with me or maybe driver isn't compatible with window 10. But now i am starting to doubt the my wifi device/card is not in 100% working condition.

First kindly guide what could be the possible  reason for this constant disconnectivity?

Secondly if this is my WIFI device/card i am thinking of buying a new device. Kindly guide should I go for the wifi card which will be plugged in motherboard? or for some latest wifi adapter of tp link or d-link AC-1300 or so or could go for  wifi 6 adapter? would my system even be able to fully use the latest wifi 6 speed? (yes i will by wifi 6 router later =D ).

JanGli_0-1659971614949.png

If i have to go for the built in one... which one is the best among the provided list of by dell ? attached a  screen shot of the wifi from dell precision manual m6800 or could i go for some other not mentioned, latest in-built card? if yes kindly do guide on this as well.

 

Thanks in advance guys and really appreciate your help.

Have you tried this driver? https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19390/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-intel-wireless-7260-family-and-intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-3160.html

 

You can also check for newer drivers with https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

CPU: i7 9700K@5ghz all core (silence + summer)

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3733mhz @jedec cl15

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42(RIP) -> X53 (From RMA)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Enter your laptop's service tag into http://www.dell.com/support and make sure you have the latest drivers they've validated on your card.

 

You can also take the bottom cover off the laptop and make sure the antenna cables are firmly seated on the card.

 

It's possible the antenna wires got damaged in the middle of their length, near the hinge, but I haven't seen that happen in a long time.

Dell owns my soul.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

I have some issue with Dell wireless card (DW1540) so I would caution you on those.

 

Anyway, there are a few things that could cause this problem.

1st is your Wi-Fi card (they do fail, but it will be very rare)

2nd is your antenna connection (the cable can break, especially near the hinge).

3rd is Windows file corrupt. You can run SFC /scannow from command prompt to check for issues.

4th is to reset network shell (reset socket). I've forgotten much about it but you can try searching for netsh command.

 

You should get back the original Intel Wireless AC 7260, it is by far the most stable and the fastest in terms of speed and connectivity.

 

I don't think Wi-Fi 6 comes in mini PCIe card. If you're going to go for Wi-Fi 6, your best bet is to use USB Wi-Fi 6 dongle.

1st - when they fail? i believe they shouldn't be working at all right? its not like that a failed wifi card will work for an hour and than doesn't work next 5 mins....

2nd - i don't think so this is the scene with me.... ms6800 is quite a heavy machine... i barely move it... using it like a desktop.

3rd - scan went with 100% verification

4th -  i believe stopping wifi from taskbar is similar like stopping it from command...

 

Any clue how can i check if I could get a wifi 6 card for dell precision m6800


Thanks for the help.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Oh, and one more thing, if you are using Intel Pro set Wireless software (or any kind of WiFi monitoring software from Intel), uninstall it. They work great in Windows 7 but not Windows 10.

this is what i did.... I uninstalled the intel proset/wireless drive from my laptop... lets see if this works.... will update about the behaviour ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

I have installed the drivers using dell driver assistant... i tried to install the latest drivers  from the link you shared... its the same driver... installer is asking for repair/reinstall/uninstall....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

Enter your laptop's service tag into http://www.dell.com/support and make sure you have the latest drivers they've validated on your card.

 

You can also take the bottom cover off the laptop and make sure the antenna cables are firmly seated on the card.

 

It's possible the antenna wires got damaged in the middle of their length, near the hinge, but I haven't seen that happen in a long time.

As i mentioned in the reply above... i believe if the cable was broken it will not work entirely... unless i move the cable till it works... but that is not the case with me.... i am nearly using m600 as desktop machine.

Unless my understanding is  incorrect and failing wireless could work on ON and OFF basis.

Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JanGLi said:

1st - when they fail? i believe they shouldn't be working at all right? its not like that a failed wifi card will work for an hour and than doesn't work next 5 mins....

Likely the card overheated at one point, then shut itself down to cool itself. Once it is cool enough, it starts to operate again. That's why I say it rarely happens, but it could. I encountered a few with the same issue (although you can't really feel it as most of the time the chip is not in direct contact with the metallic shielding), but the board is strangely warm.

 

13 hours ago, JanGLi said:

2nd - i don't think so this is the scene with me.... ms6800 is quite a heavy machine... i barely move it... using it like a desktop.

Micro cracks. As the cable is twisting when you open or close the lid, it can happen. I haven't encountered any of this, but I knew some cheaper laptops have this issue, especially net books.

 

13 hours ago, JanGLi said:

3rd - scan went with 100% verification

4th -  i believe stopping wifi from taskbar is similar like stopping it from command...

Okay, looks like Windows seems to function properly. We can rule out that for now.

 

13 hours ago, JanGLi said:

Any clue how can i check if I could get a wifi 6 card for dell precision m6800

Well, for starters, your system uses mini PCIe card, which is a generation old. I believe that the best you can go is Wi-Fi 5 or AC for this type. You can get a USB Wi-Fi one if you like.

https://www.tp-link.com/my/home-networking/adapter/archer-tx20u-plus/

https://www.dlink.com/en/products/dwa-x1850-ax1800-wi-fi-6-usb-adapter

https://www.asus.com/my/Networking-IoT-Servers/Adapters/All-series/USB-AX56/

https://www.totolink.net/home/menu/newstpl/menu_newstpl/products/id/224.html

 

Hope that helps.

 

Regards,

Chiyawa

 

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

 

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2022 at 6:35 AM, Chiyawa said:

Likely the card overheated at one point, then shut itself down to cool itself. Once it is cool enough, it starts to operate again. That's why I say it rarely happens, but it could. I encountered a few with the same issue (although you can't really feel it as most of the time the chip is not in direct contact with the metallic shielding), but the board is strangely warm.

 

Micro cracks. As the cable is twisting when you open or close the lid, it can happen. I haven't encountered any of this, but I knew some cheaper laptops have this issue, especially net books.

 

Okay, looks like Windows seems to function properly. We can rule out that for now.

 

Well, for starters, your system uses mini PCIe card, which is a generation old. I believe that the best you can go is Wi-Fi 5 or AC for this type. You can get a USB Wi-Fi one if you like.

https://www.tp-link.com/my/home-networking/adapter/archer-tx20u-plus/

https://www.dlink.com/en/products/dwa-x1850-ax1800-wi-fi-6-usb-adapter

https://www.asus.com/my/Networking-IoT-Servers/Adapters/All-series/USB-AX56/

https://www.totolink.net/home/menu/newstpl/menu_newstpl/products/id/224.html

 

Hope that helps.

 

Regards,

Chiyawa

 

thank for help man.... really appreciate it... i believe I have to go for a new one... the uninstall proset intel software didn't helped much... still same issue.... thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×