XFX 6700 XT Qick Black Fans intermittently running full speed for no reason

Hi All

I'm not sure if this is a software / bios fan control issue or a faulty card issue. I have an XFX 6700 XT Qick Black GPU that without reason spins up the fans to 100%. Sometimes it's as the system is going into standby, other times it is just randomly while idle on desktop or playing back video but oddly enough not when I'm actually in game. I haven't found a reliable way to trigger it, it really does seem completely random. The only thing I have tried is using the Quiet preset in the AMD software, I haven't applied any overclocking settings to it, my case is really well ventilated and there aren't ever any cooling issues.

I have noticed that of the 3 fans only 2 of them spin at 100% while the 3rd seems to be on the +/-600 RPM shown in the AMD hardware monitoring dashboard. The voltage readout oscillates between 0 and 900 every few seconds and the fan speed claims +/- 600rpm even when it is howling at me which are the only notable anomalies but as temps are sub 30C I honestly don't get why this is happening.

image.thumb.png.1eaf1c1cfa0bfff27d04c255b68d7438.pngimage.thumb.png.291c2a3a0fb0120834c007ce7dd5215e.png

image.thumb.png.a7b98b18f94846fc4a9a5f4cdcc0c350.png

I took all of these screenshots within a few seconds of each other while the GPU was going like a jet engine. But by the time I have finished writing this it is completely silent again.

If anyone has had this issue before or can suggest some possible fixes I would really appreciate the assistance.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Bane_ZA said:

Hi All

I'm not sure if this is a software / bios fan control issue or a faulty card issue. I have an XFX 6700 XT Qick Black GPU that without reason spins up the fans to 100%. Sometimes it's as the system is going into standby, other times it is just randomly while idle on desktop or playing back video but oddly enough not when I'm actually in game. I haven't found a reliable way to trigger it, it really does seem completely random. The only thing I have tried is using the Quiet preset in the AMD software, I haven't applied any overclocking settings to it, my case is really well ventilated and there aren't ever any cooling issues.

I have noticed that of the 3 fans only 2 of them spin at 100% while the 3rd seems to be on the +/-600 RPM shown in the AMD hardware monitoring dashboard. The voltage readout oscillates between 0 and 900 every few seconds and the fan speed claims +/- 600rpm even when it is howling at me which are the only notable anomalies but as temps are sub 30C I honestly don't get why this is happening.

image.thumb.png.1eaf1c1cfa0bfff27d04c255b68d7438.pngimage.thumb.png.291c2a3a0fb0120834c007ce7dd5215e.png

image.thumb.png.a7b98b18f94846fc4a9a5f4cdcc0c350.png

I took all of these screenshots within a few seconds of each other while the GPU was going like a jet engine. But by the time I have finished writing this it is completely silent again.

If anyone has had this issue before or can suggest some possible fixes I would really appreciate the assistance.

Thanks!

What program is this? Uninstall and run MSI afterburner if you want to overclock, if not, don't run anything 🙂 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

The software shown is the AMD Adrenaline software. I've reset everything to default (I don't want to uninstall it as it does have nice QOL features) - GPU fans still ramped up inexplicably. Installed Afterburner, enabled user fan control, set the fan curve to a pretty aggressive silence oriented curve and enabled it on startup. Will see if it solves this and report back.

Thanks for your input!