5600x Reported clock speeds not lining up

After realising my 5600x is posting terrible Cinebench scores it prompted me to look deeper. Temperature isn't a problem, and I've tried every variation of PBO with an offset, with no offset, auto, enabled etc etc. 

No matter what I do, my Cinebench scores are bad. Hwinfo shows the reported clock speeds at 4.6ghz all core, but effective clock speeds are at about 4.2ghz which might explain the low scores.

If I do a manual overclock to 4.8, leaving the voltage on auto which is nearly 1.4v, the effective cores report 4.8ghz the same as the rest.

My only issue with this is I don't want the cpu locked at 4.8ghz all core all the time.

Any ideas?

One thing I found somewhat helped on my 5900X is to setup a positive VID offset. What you're running into with PBO is something called clock stretching, which happens when the expected voltage is lower than what the CPU expects, so it momentarily drops clock speed while not reporting it in software (the HWiNFO64 readout for effective clock can kinda show this, but I wouldn't rely upon it). Clock stretching only occurs when you're using a boost algorithm, if you lock the frequency then it can't occur, thus why the effective clock stayed at 4.8GHz when fully locked. 

You don't want to add a lot to it, somewhere between +0.02 and +0.05 is likely more than enough to get the chip to stop clock stretching a ton. Also, it does tend to sweetspot pretty hard, so keep raising it till you stop seeing improvements or your temps get out of hand. 

Also, what board and BIOS revision are you running? There are occasionally BIOS updates where PBO, memory support, and other features end up breaking, so it might be worth testing another BIOS revision to see if that helps at all. 

What's your "bad" score ??

All cores effective clock 4.2GHZ is pretty standard in my experience for Zen3 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones