looking for a 16" countertop dishwasher.

Hello, I am moving and I have previously used a countertop dishwasher. I live in an apartment building and hate doing dishes so with my tax return in 2020 I got a dishwasher. I have had a few years of great use out of it but I am moving and it is too tall to fit in my new kitchen. I did some looking around but I can't find one short enough. I am willing to do a non-hookup version but I'd like one that I can hookup to my faucet. The maximum dimensions I can use in the space is 20" (D) X 23" (W) X 16" (T). My max price is $400 USD.  I know it is a tight space and a big budget but you never know. I really appreciate any help or advice I get. Thank you all and have a nice day! -TheGrimFew2

36 minutes ago, Thegrimfew2 said:

Hello, I am moving and I have previously used a countertop dishwasher. I live in an apartment building and hate doing dishes so with my tax return in 2020 I got a dishwasher. I have had a few years of great use out of it but I am moving and it is too tall to fit in my new kitchen. I did some looking around but I can't find one short enough. I am willing to do a non-hookup version but I'd like one that I can hookup to my faucet. The maximum dimensions I can use in the space is 20" (D) X 23" (W) X 16" (T). My max price is $400 USD.  I know it is a tight space and a big budget but you never know. I really appreciate any help or advice I get. Thank you all and have a nice day! -TheGrimFew2

Counter top dishwashers are a pretty rare thing.  Have you looked at portable dishwashers that attach to your faucet?  They’ve got a lot more room.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 8/11/2022 at 1:38 AM, Bombastinator said:

Counter top dishwashers are a pretty rare thing.  Have you looked at portable dishwashers that attach to your faucet?  They’ve got a lot more room.

I have but most are out of my price range and too big for my space. I have looked some more for a 16" countertop dishwasher but couldn't find one. I will just have to get a top load one. It's a shame but whatch ya gunna do?

1 minute ago, Thegrimfew2 said:

I have but most are out of my price range and too big for my space. I have looked some more for a 16" countertop dishwasher but couldn't find one. I will just have to get a top load one. It's a shame but whatch ya gunna do?

The only one I ever saw was top load.  One option for portable dishwashers is it’s really just a regular dishwasher in a portable case.  You can buy a busted one and as long as it’s the washer that is broken you can just replace it.  The only special feature I know of on dishwashers that matters much is the water clarity sensor.  This is the thing that makes prewashing unnecessary (and can make a dishwasher take a really long time to do a load) it looks at the water to see if it’s running clean or not and if it isn’t it just does another run. It can make for a lot of water if you have really nasty dishes in it, but it generally gets them clean.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 8/14/2022 at 3:48 AM, Bombastinator said:

The only one I ever saw was top load.  One option for portable dishwashers is it’s really just a regular dishwasher in a portable case.  You can buy a busted one and as long as it’s the washer that is broken you can just replace it.  The only special feature I know of on dishwashers that matters much is the water clarity sensor.  This is the thing that makes prewashing unnecessary (and can make a dishwasher take a really long time to do a load) it looks at the water to see if it’s running clean or not and if it isn’t it just does another run. It can make for a lot of water if you have really nasty dishes in it, but it generally gets them clean.

Thank you for the advice. I will look in my area for one. Man do I ever hate having to refit stuff to new apartments.

14 minutes ago, Thegrimfew2 said:

Thank you for the advice. I will look in my area for one. Man do I ever hate having to refit stuff to new apartments.

Lol.  You have no idea.  I’m a landlord of sorts with 4 apartments I renovated by hand.  I live in one of them and have lived in all of them at one time or another.

Edited by Bombastinator

They aren't worth the hassle.  Just wash your dishes by hand.  Techmoan had a video on one called "Bob".  He liked it alright but it really did make the thing sound like a waste of money.  And yes I lived in a crappy apartment with no dishwasher where I had to do my dishes by hand so I've experienced that... and honestly I think my dishes piled up less when I had to do them by hand than now that I have a dishwasher

EDIT: Bob isn't available in North America.  From what I understand in the first place is that these things are more popular in Europe anyway.

4 minutes ago, IRMacGuyver said:

They aren't worth the hassle.  Just wash your dishes by hand.  Techmoan had a video on one called "Bob".  He liked it alright but it really did make it sound like a waste of money.  And yes I lived in a crappy apartment with no dishwasher where I had to do my dishes by hand so I've experienced that... and honestly I think my dishes piled up less when I had to do them by hand than now that I have a dishwasher

The issue with countertop dishwashers imho is that counter space is always at a premium in a kitchen.  Now if there was a broom closet or something it could be fit in that could be a different thing.  Maybe attach it to the inside of the cupboard door under the sink. That’s often useless wasted space because of the pipes.

TIL counter-top dishwashers are a thing.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 8/16/2022 at 2:37 AM, Bombastinator said:

The issue with countertop dishwashers imho is that counter space is always at a premium in a kitchen.  Now if there was a broom closet or something it could be fit in that could be a different thing.  Maybe attach it to the inside of the cupboard door under the sink. That’s often useless wasted space because of the pipes.

Like I said I lived in a tiny apartment with very little space.  I prepared meals on the "dining" table half the time.  I've seen the same thing from other people.  Sitting at a table chopping vegetables.  So to people used to it losing more counter space isn't really a problem and half the time that is just space that would have been taken up by a drying rack anyway.