Can switching cell provider make your phone run faster?

NicholasBoccio

We just switched providers and as soon as both of our Galaxy Note 9 cell phones rebooted, we each immediately noticed how much smoother, and snappier the phones were. It was striking.

I don't think it matters, but we moved from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile to reduce monthly expenses.

Even after multiple restarts, the phones are still snappier... Has anyone else noticed this? The new provider did remove the Verizon apps, but we never used them - however there isn't anything else that seems to make sense for this performance boost that we both notice.

It could be a really neat idea for labs to inspect the performance hit that different providers' apps have on phones. Thanks for any response, cheers!

Do what's right, not what's easy

17 minutes ago, NicholasBoccio said:

We just switched providers and as soon as both of our Galaxy Note 9 cell phones rebooted, we each immediately noticed how much smoother, and snappier the phones were. It was striking.

I don't think it matters, but we moved from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile to reduce monthly expenses.

Even after multiple restarts, the phones are still snappier... Has anyone else noticed this? The new provider did remove the Verizon apps, but we never used them - however there isn't anything else that seems to make sense for this performance boost that we both notice.

It could be a really neat idea for labs to inspect the performance hit that different providers' apps have on phones. Thanks for any response, cheers!

My guessing is the apps were maybe running in background. While you switched providers you didnt switch networks. All the cable ISP's use Verizon as their cellular network. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It may have removed apps that were causing your phone to bog down, or maybe it changed something in the settings, but just changing your carrier shouldnt make your phone any faster or smoother unless its apps were the problem.

Some people on Reddit have mentioned that they noticed a similar improvement when getting a new SIM. Could the SIM degrade overtime and affect the phone's operation? Still seems like it shouldn't matter...

Do what's right, not what's easy