Power supply button keeps flipping back on

Ponylover

Hey,

I was troubleshooting a problem I have with my graphics card and when I plugged the power cable back to my psu I heard a weird noise. Ever since the psu power button is stuck in the "ON" position and I can't turn it off that way...

Tried removing the power cable before switching it off with no luck..

PSU: Thermaltake SMART 750W 80PLUS BRONZE

Anyone familiar with this nonsense?

I mean I could understand if this is a surge protector which you couldn't turn off, only reset... but this is a PSU.

Their manual wasn't very helpful and is stupidly sparse. There's no danger to just unplugging the power cable before switching off the PSU however.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

8 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

I mean I could understand if this is a surge protector which you couldn't turn off, only reset... but this is a PSU.

Their manual wasn't very helpful and is stupidly sparse. There's no danger to just unplugging the power cable before switching off the PSU however.

Doesn't that indicate something is wrong with my psu?

And maybe the long beep and 3 short beeps I got when turning my pc on could've been the psu and not the graphics?

Motherboard: Aorus elite x570

33 minutes ago, Ponylover said:

Thermaltake SMART 750W 80PLUS BRONZE

It's junk anyway. Time to replace it.

12 minutes ago, Ponylover said:

Doesn't that indicate something is wrong with my psu?

Yes, from the first day you bought it. Bad quality, bad protections, bad performance.

13 minutes ago, Ponylover said:

Motherboard: Aorus elite x570

What CPU and GPU?

39 minutes ago, Ponylover said:

Hey,

I was troubleshooting a problem I have with my graphics card and when I plugged the power cable back to my psu I heard a weird noise. Ever since the psu power button is stuck in the "ON" position and I can't turn it off that way...

Tried removing the power cable before switching it off with no luck..

PSU: Thermaltake SMART 750W 80PLUS BRONZE

Anyone familiar with this nonsense?

Yep.  It's broke.

Happens sometimes.  Especially if you flip the switch on and off every day (which you shouldn't).   Sometimes, I big enough spark from inrush can actually melt the plastic.

The latch that holds it in the off position is just plastic.  When you push it to "on" it snaps that plastic over another piece.  Think of how a mouth harp works.  LOL!  The spring pops it into the on mode because they don't want a broken switch to prevent you from using your PC at all.

Probably just broke on the inside, nothing much to do. Also as said that PSU should be upgraded since it isn't so high quality, nice mobo btw running same

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

14 hours ago, --SID-- said:

It's junk anyway. Time to replace it.

Yes, from the first day you bought it. Bad quality, bad protections, bad performance.

What CPU and GPU?

3600x, 6600xt gigabyte

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yep.  It's broke.

Happens sometimes.  Especially if you flip the switch on and off every day (which you shouldn't).   Sometimes, I big enough spark from inrush can actually melt the plastic.

The latch that holds it in the off position is just plastic.  When you push it to "on" it snaps that plastic over another piece.  Think of how a mouth harp works.  LOL!  The spring pops it into the on mode because they don't want a broken switch to prevent you from using your PC at all.

Did it 3 times that day just to remove and reseat my graphics, but haven't touched it in months before that

I guess Ill just deem it broken and replace it and hope it solves the issue