Windows 10 boots up slower and slower

jakkapat

Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Home on my computer, and I found that it boots up windows slower and slower each time.

I built this PC back in early 2018. I always leave my computer on almost all the time, only turn it off 2-3 times a week when I'm not at home (I'm freelancer, work at home). After several months, I found that it struggle to turn OFF (screens went dark, but not lost signals, and the fans were still working), so I found a solution by turn off fast startup in power setting. It seemed to work fine for a while, then it started to boot slower and slower each time I turn it on, from 5 to 10 to 20 to almost half an hour (keep showing the Windows logo screen).

Then during mid 2020, after I hold on to not update the Windows version (at that time, there were huge bugs in the version 190X, can't remember which one), the Windows was forced update itself. It turned out that after update a big version of Windows update, it solve the slow boot problem. And then after a while it got slower again, then I update again around late 2021, and it fixed again. So, I believe that it has to do with junk or corrupted Windows files.

Now, the problem is that Microsoft is already departed from Windows 10 to 11, and I believe that there will no longer a big update again, so there is no easy fix for me anymore.

So, is there any way to fix the slow boot apart from freshly reinstall the Windows? I never try the system recovery either, because I afraid that it will wipe out all the setting, files, and the programs I installed. I don't want to waste several days to track down what has disappear or something like that.

The setup is AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Asus B350M-A motherboard, the boot drive is a WD Green 120GB 2.5".

4 minutes ago, jakkapat said:

WD Green 120GB 2.5

is this thing, by any chance, quite full?

what you're describing smells a lot like what i've seen on "win7 upgraded to win10" machines where the old mechanical hard drives started to go downhill.

windows does a lot of cleanup past an update, so perhaps that clears the air a bit for your system, getting rid of the hogging.

give this a go:

- open cmd as admin, and run (this one is more a sanity check than anything)

sfc /scannow

- open cleanmgr (disk cleanup) as administrator, and check ALL the boxes, then let it do it's cleaning

- might as well remove old restore points in cleanmgr too, that may clear some air too.

if this all makes a significant change to your performance, i'd probably say it's time for an upgrade on the SSD part.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

is this thing, by any chance, quite full?

Not really, there's always around 10% of free space, and I always do disk cleanup a about week after every updates (just to make sure that the updates are stable). By the way, after boot into Windows, the OS works fine, programs are open snappily. I know how boot drive full is acting like, because sometime I accidently downloaded big files onto it, the OS wouldn't work as smooth as this. Even if right after big updated, and the free space in boot drive went down to only 7-8GB, the boot time still seconds. On the other hand, now it's around 10-15GB, it's worse.