Jump to content

Burns on power cable and psu socket

The power cable receptacle burnt a week ago (or two weeks I forgot). It wasn't a severe burn and my pc is still running normally but I could smell an electrical burning. I replaced it with a new cable and things were fine for a while.


Today morning I noticed a faint burnt smell but it wasn't as strong as the one two weeks ago, and since there's always a faint smoke smell everyday where I live and I have a bad nose condition, I'm not so sure myself. Anyway I keep using the pc for like 2 hours before turning it off.

 

However I found some black mark here in the cable. Though when smelled directly it doesn't have that distinct electrical burning smell, but it could be because the plastic smell is still fresh and overpowering.

 

Does the socket look damaged to you? I'm still on warranty, but can I RMA it?

 

 

20220810_185414.thumb.jpg.42212b2d17f78d2121f5fa4aeedf44c6.jpg20220810_185431.thumb.jpg.c3c89fc91089423cf2d4d792dd1908cb.jpg

Edited by davoi_encounter
added more explanation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was the socket receptacle replaced?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Was the socket receptacle replaced?

Uh, no it wasn't

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The cable can be replaced, it's standardized.  the plug that goes into the psu is called IEC C13 so you can search Amazon or local stores for IEC C13 power cord / computer cable and you'll find one.

 

The socket on the power supply looks fine to me. If you want, grab some sandpaper and rub the sides of the pins to remove oxidation (if there's any)... as oxidation would cause higher contact resistance and therefore the plug would get warmer. 

 

I don't think the socket on the psu is bad and I certainly don't think you need to RMA it.... they wouldn't even accept it for rma for this reason. 

 

The pins in the socket are solid core, thick, so it's the other connector's job to fit the pin between those contacts and have those contacts put some pressure on the pin, to make a good contact between the metal parts. 

 

Sometimes the contact inside the plug can stretch and those metal sides no longer put decent pressure on the pin in the psu socket, so you can get sparks or higher contact resistance, which causes the plastic of the plug on the cable to get hot and make that smell as if it burns. 

 

Another cable with tighter holes (for more friction between the plug and psu socket) should be enough. 

 

 

The receptacle can be replaced, but it involves unscrewing the socket and desoldering 3 or more wires and naturally opening the power supply. 

It can be done, it's simple to do, but wouldn't recommend doing it unless the receptacle is obviously bad (for example pitted pins as in holes and discoloration in the pin surface, or pins being loose inside the plastic receptacle)

Such receptacles are maybe 2-3$ - here's a bunch of them : https://www.digikey.com/short/2df149bt -  if you buy a single one and soldering is fairly easy if you have the equipment (or you can go to some pc service place with the psu and the connector and they'll do it for you for a tip)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The cable...

Thank you for the quick and elaborate answer!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, davoi_encounter said:

Uh, no it wasn't

So that. If possible have it done.  The thing burned on the inside.  It may not be all there any more.  Basically anything electric that burns should be replaced and not used till it is.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The cable can be replaced, it's standardized.  the plug that goes into the psu is called IEC C13 so you can search Amazon or local stores for IEC C13 power cord / computer cable and you'll find one.

 

The socket on the power supply looks fine to me. If you want, grab some sandpaper and rub the sides of the pins to remove oxidation (if there's any)... as oxidation would cause higher contact resistance and therefore the plug would get warmer. 

 

I don't think the socket on the psu is bad and I certainly don't think you need to RMA it.... they wouldn't even accept it for rma for this reason. 

 

The pins in the socket are solid core, thick, so it's the other connector's job to fit the pin between those contacts and have those contacts put some pressure on the pin, to make a good contact between the metal parts. 

 

Sometimes the contact inside the plug can stretch and those metal sides no longer put decent pressure on the pin in the psu socket, so you can get sparks or higher contact resistance, which causes the plastic of the plug on the cable to get hot and make that smell as if it burns. 

 

Another cable with tighter holes (for more friction between the plug and psu socket) should be enough. 

 

 

The receptacle can be replaced, but it involves unscrewing the socket and desoldering 3 or more wires and naturally opening the power supply. 

It can be done, it's simple to do, but wouldn't recommend doing it unless the receptacle is obviously bad (for example pitted pins as in holes and discoloration in the pin surface, or pins being loose inside the plastic receptacle)

Such receptacles are maybe 2-3$ - here's a bunch of them : https://www.digikey.com/short/2df149bt -  if you buy a single one and soldering is fairly easy if you have the equipment (or you can go to some pc service place with the psu and the connector and they'll do it for you for a tip)

 

 

I’ve never seen a soldered house receptacle.  You may be talking about a computer port though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So that. If possible have it done.  The thing burned on the inside.  It may not be all there any more.  Basically anything electric that burns should be replaced and not used till it is.

If you think it's damaged can I take it to RMA?

 

Also there wasn't a burn smell from the psu even after I blew an air inside, that's why I didn't suspect it

Edited by davoi_encounter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, davoi_encounter said:

If you think it's damaged can I take it to RMA?

 

Also there wasn't a burn smell from the psu even after I blew an air inside, that's why I didn't suspect it

The problem is possible melting of metal. @mariushm described the issues.  I get the impression from the pic it’s a be quiet PSU. I don’t know if you got it online or in a brick&mortar store so I don’t know what process you are looking at.  Imho both the cord and the PSU need to be repaired or replaced.  I might have a look at the wall outlet as well.  That sounds like it’s probably fine though it may have been midwifed of something.  Part of the problem is I don’t know what actually caused the failure.  Highest probability atm is the cord.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem is possible melting of metal. @mariushm described the issues.  I get the impression from the pic it’s a be quiet PSU. I don’t know if you got it online or in a brick&mortar store so I don’t know what process you are looking at.  Imho both the cord and the PSU need to be repaired or replaced.  I might have a look at the wall outlet as well.  That sounds like it’s probably fine though it may have been midwifed of something.  Part of the problem is I don’t know what actually caused the failure.  Highest probability atm is the cord.

Hmm, I plugged it to a UPS. So should the wall outlet be fine?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem is possible melting of metal.

Do you actually know what temperature that would be to melt metal?

The melting point of steel ranges from 1371 - 1540°C.

The melting point of copper is 1,085°C

 

All of the plastic on the cord's socket would be totally melted and burnt up if you were correct. It hasn't melted so there is no melted metal.

 

Read mariushm's suggestions. Use a new cable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, davoi_encounter said:

Hmm, I plugged it to a UPS. So should the wall outlet be fine?

Where is the UPS getting recharge power from? The wall? There is no reason to suspect any problem with the wall socket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, davoi_encounter said:

Hmm, I plugged it to a UPS. So should the wall outlet be fine?

Yeah.  Though the ups might not.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

Where is the UPS getting recharge power from? The wall? There is no reason to suspect any problem with the wall socket.

Er, sorry, are you being sarcastic? I'm kinda terrible at picking up cues like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, davoi_encounter said:

Er, sorry, are you being sarcastic? I'm kinda terrible at picking up cues like that.

Do you know how a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) works? No?

A UPS has a battery in it which keeps it going when the power is off. The battery needs to be recharged after use. How are you doing that? Pugging it into the wall socket?

 

If it works OK from the UPS, there is no reason for it not to work if plugged directly into the wall socket.

 

Basically, change the power cord and try the system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, davoi_encounter said:

Er, sorry, are you being sarcastic? I'm kinda terrible at picking up cues like that.

I’m not seeing one at all.  I’m possibly even worse at it though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RollyShed said:

Do you know how a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) works? No?

A UPS has a battery in it which keeps it going when the power is off. The battery needs to be recharged after use. How are you doing that? Pugging it into the wall socket?

 

If it works OK from the UPS, there is no reason for it not to work if plugged directly into the wall socket.

 

Basically, change the power cord and try the system.

Just because it works doesn’t mean it’s ok though it not working would mean a problem. With luck the ups protected itself.  Cord absolutely has to go. If there is a warranty repair possible for the ups it should probably be looked into, simply because if you ever want to resell it or anything it is part of a lot of people will just say “oh hell no!” When they see that scorch mark.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Just because it works doesn’t mean it’s ok though it not working would mean a problem. With luck the ups protected itself.

It appears the UPS wasn't being used during the "event". So why do you think the UPS might be faulty? It works so the OP says.

 

Maybe he had better check his toaster and microwave oven and his door bell too by your logic?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

It appears the UPS wasn't being used during the "event". So why do you think the UPS might be faulty? It works so the OP says.

 

Maybe he had better check his toaster and microwave oven and his door bell too by your logic?

Huh?  It was or it wasn’t. Was there some sort of pass through where the ups was in the loop but not “on”?  Makes me wonder why a ups was used in the first place then.  If the ups wasn’t in the electrical loop it wouldn’t have any problems.  If there was a pass through it would depend on how the pass through was done.  It might have been on but not activated, which would be “on”.  The cable apparently shorted, unless it was the psu that shorted first which caused the cable to short.  The burning cable might have simply burnt the PSU, or the PSU shorting may have caused the problem.  It all depends on what is inside the ups and how it works internally.  Maybe ask the makers of the ups if there could be a potential problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The cable apparently shorted,

It didn't, it burnt.

There have been a number of those cord sockets leaking enough to burn but not short.

Or it wasn't making good contact with the PSU socket, again not shorted, simply bad contact and possible internal arcing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, uhhh, I tried sanding the burn marks off (or maybe it's oxidization, i dunno it looks black)  but my idiot ass cleaned off the plating too. What do you think? I hope you're patient with me, I didn't know anything.20220811_131443.thumb.jpg.2981415b2a8c6559fc9000d3ecf1ecfb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, davoi_encounter said:

Right, uhhh, I tried sanding the burn marks off (or maybe it's oxidization, i dunno it looks black)  but my idiot ass cleaned off the plating too. What do you think? I hope you're patient with me, I didn't know anything.20220811_131443.thumb.jpg.2981415b2a8c6559fc9000d3ecf1ecfb.jpg

Lack of plating means it can rust faster.  Playing gets worn off in normal use though.  Might get away with it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm replacing the psu socket after all. The underside not in the photo is kinda rough(?) and sanding it doesn't help.  I think it's what you call pitted? (I only just now noticed it, I'm not the brightest guy around) My friend says it's okay but I wanna be safe. The replies told me to go get it changed anyway.

 

So, case closed. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×