Need help with a Sofabaton U1 remote.

Nodakskip

For years I have had the Harmony remotes for controlling everything entertainment wise. After I got YouTube tv my family got into Rokus and the remotes for rokus can control tvs so I just got into the habit of those. Well I have started going back to simple Harmony 350s where there is no LCD screen to change the controls, you just hit the "tv" or "dvd" buttons and the like to say what devices you want to use. Well since Logitech has stupidly decided to get rid of Harmony it has cause everyone to sell their Harmony on ebay for 100s of dollars even when its very clearly heavily used. So I bought a new remote from amazon a Sofabaton U! remote that is supposed to be the replacement for Harmony. While I do like that you can use a phone/tablet app to program the remote instead of cords and a pc program. I find the U1 has two major flaws to it. First I have to be almost right in line with the device to work. On my roku I have to be pointed directly at it, not even up a little bit, or it wont work. Second if I do not use the remote for a bit the buttons seem to need sometimes 3 presses to get the device to respond. Like if I want to pause I have to hit the button a few times to get it to go. Then it will seem to remember the device its controlling. But after a few more times... it seems to take a few button presses again to do the same thing. I have read of the more expensive version the X1 getting bricked by the last update on some remotes. Is anyone else having trouble the Sofabaton remotes? Is there a better Harmony replacement?

Devices I used it on....

Samsung Series 8 4k tv

Roku Streambar (mini version)

Xbox One

Tivo streamer box

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 1:11 AM, Nodakskip said:

For years I have had the Harmony remotes for controlling everything entertainment wise. After I got YouTube tv my family got into Rokus and the remotes for rokus can control tvs so I just got into the habit of those. Well I have started going back to simple Harmony 350s where there is no LCD screen to change the controls, you just hit the "tv" or "dvd" buttons and the like to say what devices you want to use. Well since Logitech has stupidly decided to get rid of Harmony it has cause everyone to sell their Harmony on ebay for 100s of dollars even when its very clearly heavily used. So I bought a new remote from amazon a Sofabaton U! remote that is supposed to be the replacement for Harmony. While I do like that you can use a phone/tablet app to program the remote instead of cords and a pc program. I find the U1 has two major flaws to it. First I have to be almost right in line with the device to work. On my roku I have to be pointed directly at it, not even up a little bit, or it wont work. Second if I do not use the remote for a bit the buttons seem to need sometimes 3 presses to get the device to respond. Like if I want to pause I have to hit the button a few times to get it to go. Then it will seem to remember the device its controlling. But after a few more times... it seems to take a few button presses again to do the same thing. I have read of the more expensive version the X1 getting bricked by the last update on some remotes. Is anyone else having trouble the Sofabaton remotes? Is there a better Harmony replacement?

Devices I used it on....

Samsung Series 8 4k tv

Roku Streambar (mini version)

Xbox One

Tivo streamer box

I have a X1, and I would not say it is any better. I would say it is better in that you can use IR blasters so you make sure it always hits the correct device, but their are still many problems. IN my setup, i have a LG CX and LG Soundbar, the SN11RG, and changing volume only goes in clicks of 2. They released a fix, but it does not work for my setup, and they have not updated on when they will release another fix. On top of this, the X1 is supposed to be the harmony elite and hub replacement, but about once a week, i have to unplug the hub to power cycle it to get everything working again. I have not found a better solution, I have been looking into URC remotes, and even got my hands on the software, but they are so anti-consumer I have not got anything done on that front yet.