TV - How do I get more HDMI slots without sacrifice

Lockie85

Hi,

I've searched and I've search but I can't find an ideal solution to adding more HDMI slots to my TV. I've seen some switches but they all seem to struggle with a good amount of Hz especially at higher resolutions.

Is there a solution out there to solve my problem?

Many Thanks

A receiver? I don't believe there is a cheap solution.

It's fine if it's not cheap. I just need a solution. Do you mean a AV receiver? Are there particular examples to look at? Obviously I don't need all the features that might offer. I just need more HDMI ports :)

4 hours ago, Lockie85 said:

It's fine if it's not cheap. I just need a solution. Do you mean a AV receiver? Are there particular examples to look at? Obviously I don't need all the features that might offer. I just need more HDMI ports 🙂

if you dont care about 4k 120htz then any newish avr from the last few years will work. 4k 60htz ones. just find one that has enough hdmi ins for ya set the avr's hdmi's to passthrough (so the avr doesnt do the processing) and your good to go

if you do want 4k 120hz then yamaha  has 3 with 7in 3out im reading. a few denons have 1 4k120htz in (says 8k in) (unless theyve changed it)

How many more ports do you need? Usually an entry level receiver has about 4, so that's in addition to the ones on your tv (except one port needs to go from the receiver to the tv). You can probably find any starter receiver for around $350 to $500. The higher end models have more inputs. 

Hz is important as I want to game at the highest FPS possible. Current hdmi switch has noticeable latency and poor FPS. 

I'd say I ideally need around 5 HDMI ports on my solution. I might get away with 4.

5 hours ago, Lockie85 said:

Hz is important as I want to game at the highest FPS possible. Current hdmi switch has noticeable latency and poor FPS. 

I'd say I ideally need around 5 HDMI ports on my solution. I might get away with 4.

How many devices do you have that use high res and high hz? Pc, PS5 and Xbox are the only 3 that I can think of. Do you have all 3?

I don't think there are any receivers with 4+ HDMI 2.1 ports... you might be a little early to this game

Av receiver is your only option here. People use the terrible tv speakers?

You mentioned hz but what do you need. Is it 60 or 120?

Av receivers have up to 7 hdmi inputs

My TV (Samsung UE65NU7100) only supports HDMI 2.0, so no need for 2.1, if it so happens to be there so be it. But I won't be able to use it unless I switch out my TV.

In addition my TV only has three HDMI slots. Potentially two certainly one of those is lost to the following:

Sound Bar - Needs to be plugged into TV HDMI ARC directly. Optical will not work as I lose auto on/off features

Fire Stick - 30Hz required - I watch films etc. at 1080p via Plex on this device. However, I don't want this power cycling. Perhaps this isn't an issue with a AV receiver but for a HDMI switch. It appears to power down on switching input, as a result it needs to go directly into my TV

The remaining items  I'd like connected are:

PC - 120Hz required - I utilise Steam big picture and my 2080 for gaming

Nintendo Switch - 60Hz required - I don't think this goes above 60Hz but I'm not certain

Sky - 60Hz required - I believe this outputs higher Hz on the 4K services I pay (Sports)

Lastly I'd like one additional slot spare, ideally capible of 60Hz for occassional use.

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Lockie85 said:

My TV (Samsung UE65NU7100) only supports HDMI 2.0, so no need for 2.1, if it so happens to be there so be it. But I won't be able to use it unless I switch out my TV.

In addition my TV only has three HDMI slots. Potentially two certainly one of those is lost to the following:

Sound Bar - Needs to be plugged into TV HDMI ARC directly. Optical will not work as I lose auto on/off features

Fire Stick - 30Hz required - I watch films etc. at 1080p via Plex on this device. However, I don't want this power cycling. Perhaps this isn't an issue with a AV receiver but for a HDMI switch. It appears to power down on switching input, as a result it needs to go directly into my TV

The remaining items  I'd like connected are:

PC - 120Hz required - I utilise Steam big picture and my 2080 for gaming

Nintendo Switch - 60Hz required - I don't think this goes above 60Hz but I'm not certain

Sky - 60Hz required - I believe this outputs higher Hz on the 4K services I pay (Sports)

Lastly I'd like one additional slot spare, ideally capible of 60Hz for occassional use.

Thoughts?

Your TV can't do more than 60hz. So if you want your hi refresh pc gaming, you need a new tv. 

19 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Your TV can't do more than 60hz. So if you want your hi refresh pc gaming, you need a new tv. 

Yeah I got that wrong from assume HDMI 2.0 at 1080p would mean I'd have higher Hz. But you are right, the TV is maxed out at 60Hz.

So let's change the PC to 60Hz, what's the best option?

4 hours ago, Lockie85 said:

Yeah I got that wrong from assume HDMI 2.0 at 1080p would mean I'd have higher Hz. But you are right, the TV is maxed out at 60Hz.

So let's change the PC to 60Hz, what's the best option?

I'd get something like this... 

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-FiveHome-Switcher-Wireless-Support/dp/B076XWNQP9/ref=mp_s_a_1_7_sspa?keywords=hdmi+2.0+switch&qid=1660338687&sr=8-7-spons&psc=1

One of the issues I've had previously with a HDMI switch, I have this one at the moment:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VRXF4F9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

is there is latency when gaming. So while the resolution and FPS can be fine, there can still be latency in my experience. Does this sound likely and is it something some switches are better at than others?