Addressing and configuring windows network interfaces by network adapter

Schild0r

Hello all,

I want to configure multiple network interfaces for multiple computers (same systems, same image, so same network adapters on all computers) within windows ideally via batch script or something that can be called via batch script. Unfortunate I ran into a few hiccups:

1. I need to configure IP address, subnet mask, metric (so far so good) and disable IPv6 and set jumbo frames. For the latter two I could not find how I would do that via some sort of script.

Powershell or python would probably also be an option as long as things can be explained to a noob like me.

2. With each computer it appears that windows counts them differently. What on one computer is called Ethernet 2 and is one onboard interface, could be called Ethernet 7 on another computer (while on this one Ethernet 2 would belong to the PCIe NIC).

Is there a way to address them by their Adapter name (e.g. Intel I219-lm) or get them to be enumerated consistently between computers?

Thanks a bunch for any hints

13 hours ago, Schild0r said:

Hello all,

I want to configure multiple network interfaces for multiple computers (same systems, same image, so same network adapters on all computers) within windows ideally via batch script or something that can be called via batch script. Unfortunate I ran into a few hiccups:

1. I need to configure IP address, subnet mask, metric (so far so good) and disable IPv6 and set jumbo frames. For the latter two I could not find how I would do that via some sort of script.

Powershell or python would probably also be an option as long as things can be explained to a noob like me.

2. With each computer it appears that windows counts them differently. What on one computer is called Ethernet 2 and is one onboard interface, could be called Ethernet 7 on another computer (while on this one Ethernet 2 would belong to the PCIe NIC).

Is there a way to address them by their Adapter name (e.g. Intel I219-lm) or get them to be enumerated consistently between computers?

Thanks a bunch for any hints

There is a system for this in windows.  The name is escaping me though.  It’s not called batch though. Microsoft likes to make up its own special names for things other companies have already been doing for years.  I find it very annoying myself. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.