Is 750W enough for ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 OC Edition 12GB

n0pain0gain

Hello,

Let's start with fact that 2 years ago I have build my first custom PC with i5-10600K and EVGA 3070 FTW3.
Right now I decided to upgrade the GPU because of good deal to ROG Strix RTX 3080 12GB, but my PSU that I choose then was Asus ROG Strix 750W Gold.
Now I'm worried if this will be enough to feed the 3080 and should I consider upgrade to PSU. On many places I have read two-way opinions, once saying 750W is even enough for 3090, but other saying that 750W is not even enough for regular 3080 10GB (which is rated 320W, instead of 350W for 12GB version)
The other problem also I'm thinking about is power connectors. This video card has 3x8 pins connectors, but my PSU has only 2 daisy chained PCIe cables (on PSU side its 8pin, on other side is 2x 6+2pin), totally 4 connectors, but 2 cables.
So I'm wondering will be enough for that GPU to be connected only via 2 cables where the first cable will use both connectors and the second cable will use only one connector leaving second connector unused?

You'd be good as you have a good PSU and it certainly will stand spikes. The 3080 OC tops around 350W, 150W more than a non OC 3070

Regarding connectors, with 2 PCie cables it'll get 2x150W + 75 from PCie, and that's enough

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Connect with 3 seperate cables on that PSU with 18g wires and low grade connectors. Thanks to Seasonic.

7 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Connect with 3 seperate cables on that PSU with 18g wires and low grade connectors. Thanks to Seasonic.

What Seasonic? Are you saying they have low grade connectors?

6 minutes ago, masterchither said:

Some use 18g to the first connector because they use standard mini-fit Jr. terminals.  Some use 16g because they use HCS terminals. 

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Some use 18g to the first connector because they use standard mini-fit Jr. terminals.  Some use 16g because they use HCS terminals. 

I see, thank you. 

33 minutes ago, masterchither said:

All the current Asus PSUs (except for the Thor 1600W made by Wentai) are made by Seasonic, and therefore have the usual Seasonic issues (or even more, where Asus decided to downgrade for marketing purposes)

:)

7 hours ago, seon123 said:

nd therefore have the usual Seasonic issues (or even more, where Asus decided to downgrade for marketing purposes)

All but one 😃 The 1200P2 Model has 16AWG cables for the PCI_E GPU cables and no in-cable capacitors. The others ones though yeah, all 18AWG xD

I'm bit confused, you started talking about different things, so finally what's is the exact answer on my questions:
- Is 750W Gold enough?
- Is 2 PCIe cables connecting to 3x8pin enough?
If answer to both question is Yes, then I'm fine to go.
If answer to some of the question is No, then I should consider upgrading the PSU.
If I should upgrade the PSU what you gonna suggest me? I was thinking about Asus Thor 850W, or Seasonic Focus/Prime GX/PX-850.

1 hour ago, n0pain0gain said:

I'm bit confused, you started talking about different things, so finally what's is the exact answer on my questions:

Not sure what how you weren't able to read the answers to those questions from the replies, but 🤷

- Is 750W Gold enough?

A good 750W PSU is definitely enough. Yours might shut down, but absolutely try using it first. If it works, then that's great. If it keeps shutting down, get a new PSU. 

- Is 2 PCIe cables connecting to 3x8pin enough?

It should be fine, but not recommended with your PSU. That is because Seasonic (and therefore Asus) cut corners in the cables and connectors. Other, better PSUs would be fine in the configuration. 

If answer to some of the question is No, then I should consider upgrading the PSU.

What I suggest is you try using the 3080 with your current PSU with two cables. If it works without issue, get a third cable. Should not be that expensive. Just make sure it's compatible with Asus/Seasonic PSUs. 

If I should upgrade the PSU what you gonna suggest me? I was thinking about Asus Thor 850W, or Seasonic Focus/Prime GX/PX-850.

Definitely not the Focus or Prime, or their downgraded Asus branded versions. To make any meaningful recommendations, we would need to know where you're buying from (country or stores), as the availability and pricing will not be the same everywhere. 

:)

@seon123thanks for you detailed answer. Now I understand better.
I'm really surprised that you wouldn't recommended Seasonic as I thought is one the best on the market. About ASUS, I knew they are using under the hood a Seasonic with some changes, so it's mostly branding, but I really didn't expected you wouldn't recommend me them. In every review I have seen over the internet they are considered as high-end PSU, especially their PRIME and THOR series. Even in this forum there is thread https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-rev-148/ where both of them are listed under the highest tier A.
I'm located in east EU, and more and more precisely Bulgaria /no hate 🙂/ , so I will be buying from here. The most brands that can be found here are: ADATA, ASUS, Gigabyte, Cooler Master, Corsair, EVGA, FSP Group, Fractal Design, MSI, NZXT, Seasonic, Thermaltake, be quite!. There are also other brands but I think this is most popular.
Of course not all models from mentioned brands are available here.

With my PC (see my signature specs) I used a HX 750W from Corsair with a RTX ROG STRIX 3090 for 3 months, no issues what's so ever, and I ran it with powerslider set to max. Yes the PSU did run fast with the fan but it worked perfectly. 

39 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

With my PC (see my signature specs) I used a HX 750W from Corsair with a RTX ROG STRIX 3090 for 3 months, no issues what's so ever, and I ran it with powerslider set to max. Yes the PSU did run fast with the fan but it worked perfectly. 

Thanks for the info, how many PCIe cables did you use to connect that 3090? I mean did you used 3 separate or just 2 one of which daisy chained.

Just now, n0pain0gain said:

Thanks for the info, how many PCIe cables did you use to connect that 3090? I mean did you used 3 separate or just 2 one of which daisy chained.

I used 3 single cables, no daisy chaines

6 hours ago, n0pain0gain said:

Bulgaria /no hate 🙂

No hate for Bulgaria.  I actually have a Bulgarian Matchbox car collection. Just scored a couple Ford GT's the other month still sitting here on my desk.  😄

image.png.5f2b1b262c79a17439b731be09300353.png

Better quality than the Chinese crap of the time.  😄

48 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

No hate for Bulgaria.  I actually have a Bulgarian Matchbox car collection. Just scored a couple Ford GT's the other month still sitting here on my desk.  😄

image.png.5f2b1b262c79a17439b731be09300353.png

Better quality than the Chinese crap of the time.  😄

Hehe, I though American guys even doesn't know where that country is located.

33 minutes ago, n0pain0gain said:

Hehe, I though American guys even doesn't know where that country is located.

Believe it or not, a small percentage of Americans went to school.  And a subset of that small percentage actually watch the news.

I'm back from holiday and my new GPU finally has arrived, so I have switched with the old one and so far is working fine. Maybe I gonna run some benchmarks and stress tests (time spy and furmark) just to make sure there is no tripping issues.
But besides that what's your suggestion for new PSU? I also plan to upgrade the CPU so changing PSU is imperative.

Right now I have end with following choices:
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P5 (~170 USD) -> I did not find any review on the internet of this. I think there is also option for P6 at same price, but I don't know whats the difference and which one is at the higher end.
Seasonic Focus PX-850 (~160USD) -> its considered high-end
- Corsair RM850x (~170USD) -> generally good unit, gold certificate
- Asus ROG Thor 850W Platinium (~250USD) Its far more expensive, but it is also high-end (Using Seasonic Prime platform as far as I know)

The prices are for my country.
I'm looking only for power supplies with 10 years warranty. So there is no big choices here.