Pcie from rm650w would cause problem on a Corsair rm850x?

trevykb

Hello everyone,

I’ve upgraded my psu from Corsair rm650 to a Corsair rm850x same year(2021)

I upgraded cause I’ve got an Asus Rog strix 3080 oc 10gb, now I find my self with one less pcie cable, the gpu has 3x8 pin connector and both psu came with only 2 pcie, can I use one from the rm650w to the rm850x? So to give one 8pin cable per connector. Are they compatible? I don’t really want to daisy chain!

thank you in advance!

Yes, it's compatible. But with a 3080 you can use a single cable and a daisy chained without any issue.

Here is the link to the corsair PSU cable compatibility page. I do not think it would be an issue to use the same cable as they are the same company and edition just different wattage of the psu itself. However, I would personally buy the connectors where there isn't the capability of daisy chaining anyway so you don't have cable flopping around.

PSU CABLE COMPATIBILITY (corsair.com)

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

7 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Yes, it's compatible. But with a 3080 you can use a single cable and a daisy chained without any issue.

Thank you! That’s a relief! 

7 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Here is the link to the corsair PSU cable compatibility page. I do not think it would be an issue to use the same cable as they are the same company and edition just different wattage of the psu itself. However, I would personally buy the connectors where there isn't the capability of daisy chaining anyway so you don't have cable flopping around.

PSU CABLE COMPATIBILITY (corsair.com)

Yeah I’ve seen too that chart and it seems that the cables are compatible I just wanted to be sure, about gettin new cables il definitely do that but in few month! Thank you!

2 hours ago, trevykb said:

Hello everyone,

I’ve upgraded my psu from Corsair rm650 to a Corsair rm850x same year(2021)

I upgraded cause I’ve got an Asus Rog strix 3080 oc 10gb, now I find my self with one less pcie cable, the gpu has 3x8 pin connector and both psu came with only 2 pcie, can I use one from the rm650w to the rm850x? So to give one 8pin cable per connector. Are they compatible? I don’t really want to daisy chain!

thank you in advance!

Yes, the cable pinout is the same, and no, you don't need a third PCIe cable.

On 8/10/2022 at 3:41 AM, jonnyGURU said:

Yes, the cable pinout is the same, and no, you don't need a third PCIe cable.

Do you think I can plug those 3 pcie cable to 3 extension from EZDIY-FAB? They are 18awg, would  they create some problem? I’m asking only because the cables from the rm650 and the rm850x are really hard to bend and they actually look really bad.

thank you

1 hour ago, trevykb said:

I’m asking only because the cables from the rm650 and the rm850x are really hard to bend and they actually look really bad.

You really shouldn't be using the stock cables on the Corsair power supplies, especially the ones with nasty in-cable capacitors. Corsair sells (and also available in other shops) premium soft cables [you can get a corsair starting kit, no need to replace all].

6 hours ago, trevykb said:

Do you think I can plug those 3 pcie cable to 3 extension from EZDIY-FAB? They are 18awg, would  they create some problem?

NO!  Extensions are not good, especially for high end cards.  You have a fully modular PSU, you should replace the cable completely if you want something "nicer".

6 hours ago, trevykb said:

I’m asking only because the cables from the rm650 and the rm850x are really hard to bend and they actually look really bad.

4 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

You really shouldn't be using the stock cables on the Corsair power supplies, especially the ones with nasty in-cable capacitors.

The RM650 (without an X) doesn't have capacitors in the cables.  So I don't know why they would be "hard to bend" and "look really bad".

I use RM cables in my own build:
image.png.2a25cdfa9d67ad4f4c3a745def2e2b01.png

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

NO!  Extensions are not good, especially for high end cards.  You have a fully modular PSU, you should replace the cable completely if you want something "nicer".

The RM650 (without an X) doesn't have capacitors in the cables.  So I don't know why they would be "hard to bend" and "look really bad".

image.png.2a25cdfa9d67ad4f4c3a745def2e2b01.png

Sorry maybe I explain myself badly, I’ll use only one from the 650, the other two are from the rm850x with the capacitor.

but thank you for the tips!

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yes, i forgot to elaborate further on the non X, they're generally fine as they lack in-cable, just that they just have classic cables that are slightly-moderately hard to work with (compared to the soft ones from Fractal Design Ion+/Ion+2, and individually sleeved ones from Corsair kits).

The Fractal Ion+/Ion+2 cables so much nicer to guide/make angles with because of their softness, you can have them perfectly routed no matter the GPU/Case, no matter position of the cables plugs on the GPU/cut-outs on the case, just overall a much nicer user experience.

(Not as nice as individually some combs + individually sleeved cables on the Corsair SF series and the Corsair kits , but still a joy to work with). And i'm not talking SFF builds here (they're another story, and soft cables are not a luxury to slightly-moderate speed up building, be nice to work with, they're basically a core necessity). 

12 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

The Fractal Ion+/Ion+2 cables so much nicer to guide/make angles with because of their softness, you can have them perfectly routed no matter the GPU/Case, no matter position of the cables plugs on the GPU/cut-outs on the case, just overall a much nicer user experience. 

Are they really "softer"?  They look like the same "flat" cables the RM comes with (see my pic).

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Are they really "softer"?  They look like the same "flat" cables the RM comes with (see my pic).

Yeah they're really malleable. Not individual sleeved level, but something in between (You can zip-tie them, route them in really clean ways for both aesthetic and airflow purposes. SuperFlower are also slightly more flexible cables but not like the the ATX and SFX-L Ion (+ Superflower cube connector wire gauge is horrible xD)

Now don't get me wrong, not everyone needs them (I sure as hell didn't, I even used a in-cable capacitor PSU in my previous case, and it was perfectly setup for airflow). And with big enough cases, and if the GPU doesn't have weird power plug placement, nor the case weird cut-out placement, it's not that big of a boon, but it does make building faster, fingers getting cut/banged less.

It's only, like I mentioned, when you start getting into smaller form-factor, something in-between, or the GPU+Case (for CPU atx as well) have really weird placement, that soft cables are really indispensable. But at that point, I don't think there's anything that can match the SF series from Corsair (just on the fact the cables are individually sleeve, and on the best noise performance for the 750w platinum model).

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

IME the flat Corsair cables are stiffer to work with.  The round sleeve variants are good and the individual sleeves are the most flexible.

I wish we could have silicone insulation or EPDM or anything but PVC.  No one gives a shit about quality-quality though it's all cosmetic-quality in the aftermarket.

(it might not even be the insulation that makes the flat stiffer...for all I know there's lower strand count on the wires)

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)