Help with some GPU upgrade advice and general recommendations

ValkyrOG

Budget (including currency): should be somewhere in the 700-1100 EUR range

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gta5 RP like 50% of the time but also insanely modded MC with shaders and texture packs and whatnot, and just in general any game i kinda wanna play, also racing simulators

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 3600 to 5800X3D and 5700XT to ?(should i wait for RTX 4000?), 1440p 144hz single monitor but im planning on getting three for my new simrig setup im building, probably buying next year, and im not planning on doing any mobo upgrades etc, i wanna stick to AM4 for a few more years atleast, i got an X570 board as is, it should be lasting me a long time if i get a CPU upgrade

Sidenote is, i got 32 gigs of ram already, i most likely dont need more, although i do want to get better air cooling, are scythe products any good? Plus, i'd want to get another SSD aswell, doesnt matter if its NVMe, what's some reliable brands for SSD's to choose in the 1-2TB range?

I can probably sell off the 3600 and 5700XT in the second hand market to recoup some of the cost(probably around 250-350eur)

14 minutes ago, ValkyrOG said:

3600 to 5800X3D

Id just wait for 6000 series to drop and snipe it used, sell the 5700XT (ongoing rate is at a steep decline post ETH and NFT crash) and you can get 3080 money if you wanna go that route.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I'd rather get a new GPU now and then a CPU upgrade later. The 5800X3D's not gonna go anywhere. So GPU for now, wait till you see what 7000 series GPU drops to see if it's worth it in a few months. If you can't be bothered to wait, maybe get something like a 3070ti and see if your PSU is enough. I assume many GTA RP custom shaders might be optimised to NVIDIA since there's no real custom optimisation in the first place other than base game implementations and GTA 5 prefers NVIDIA if I remember correctly.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

26 minutes ago, venomtail said:

I'd rather get a new GPU now and then a CPU upgrade later. The 5800X3D's not gonna go anywhere. So GPU for now, wait till you see what 7000 series GPU drops to see if it's worth it in a few months. If you can't be bothered to wait, maybe get something like a 3070ti and see if your PSU is enough. I assume many GTA RP custom shaders might be optimised to NVIDIA since there's no real custom optimisation in the first place other than base game implementations and GTA 5 prefers NVIDIA if I remember correctly.

Yeah i dont think im feeling like going for a MoBo upgrade for a few years atleast, i just want a bit more CPU grunt aswell as GTA5 from all ive heard has been fairly CPU intensive

52 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Id just wait for 6000 series to drop and snipe it used, sell the 5700XT (ongoing rate is at a steep decline post ETH and NFT crash) and you can get 3080 money if you wanna go that route.

Yeah i can most likely get 200-300eur for the 5700XT and ive never mined on it either, its in proper good condition, ive considered something like a 3080 but theire in kind of low supply here, prices havent caught up in Estonia 😞

2 hours ago, ValkyrOG said:

3600 to 5800X3D

Don't personally feel like the 5800X3D is worth it's cost when the 5900X has been a good price lately. Probably would stick with 5700X for an upgrade though if you're just playing gta5. You don't need a lightning fast CPU for gta5

5700XT to ?(should i wait for RTX 4000?),

Waiting either RX6000/7000 (can't remember what numbering scheme their using) or 4000 series would be a good upgrade. Going to 6700XT/RTX 3070 is a decent jump. Jumping to 6800XT/RTX 3080 would be more of a "wow" upgrade

Plus, i'd want to get another SSD aswell, doesnt matter if its NVMe, what's some reliable brands for SSD's to choose in the 1-2TB range

Some good gen 4 drives:

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£110.36 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£94.92 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£118.00 @ Amazon UK) 

UK pricing, not sure what you can get in your area though

1 hour ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Don't personally feel like the 5800X3D is worth it's cost when the 5900X has been a good price lately. Probably would stick with 5700X for an upgrade though if you're just playing gta5. You don't need a lightning fast CPU for gta5

Waiting either RX6000/7000 (can't remember what numbering scheme their using) or 4000 series would be a good upgrade. Going to 6700XT/RTX 3070 is a decent jump. Jumping to 6800XT/RTX 3080 would be more of a "wow" upgrade

Some good gen 4 drives:

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£110.36 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£94.92 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£118.00 @ Amazon UK) 

UK pricing, not sure what you can get in your area though

All those are NVMe, im not really bothered with NVMe, i think im fairly fine with 2.5inch SATA 6gig, although which of those would fit me the best as a boot drive?

? but why go with sata if NVME's are not that much more expensive?

Gen 3 NVME's are generally around the same price as sata drives (sometimes cheaper) + less wires

47 minutes ago, Jonathan Lee said:

? but why go with sata if NVME's are not that much more expensive?

Gen 3 NVME's are generally around the same price as sata drives (sometimes cheaper) + less wires

Eh i guess? But i just prefer SATA SSD's for some reason, i can get a fair few of those but i believe i only got 2 NVME's, one of them locked to my OS, another 2TB one would be for games but i want to move away from HDD storage entirely, im still rocking a few HDD's