File explorer crashes upon right click?

OnAndOn

Hiya people,

Since setting up my PC I've been having this weird thing happen when trying to right click anything in the side bar of File Explorer. This includes everything from desktop, videos, pictures, documents and all 3 of my drives. It seems to momentarily remove all my shortcuts and close file explorer, but then they return. I have re-installed my OS three times. Weirdly, after re-installing it seems fix the issue briefly. Only for the issue to return days after, whether this is due to an installation of something I don't know. Please see attached for a video of this phenomenon. What is the likely culprit h

5 minutes ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Are you using any software to tweak windows default behaviour, like WinAero tweaker ?

Nothing like that, no. Initially I believed it could have been RevoUninstaller, so I avoided installation of that software this time around.

Most likely one of the programs you install every time after reinstalling the system is broken.

You can use ShellExView to see what hooks into the right-click context menu and try to disable some to see if you find the culprit.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Most likely one of the programs you install every time after reinstalling the system is broken.

You can use ShellExView to see what hooks into the right-click context menu and try to disable some to see if you find the culprit.

Hi, I'm really sorry for my ignorance but I'm not very well versed with that software. I have it downloaded and open now, could you possibly point me in the right direction with a tutorial on what I need to do, or basic instructions would be massively appreciated! Really sorry for any inconvenience.

If you sort the entries by Type you'll find a group of things in the "Context Menu" category. Start going over those you can see are from programs you installed (i.e. skip Microsoft ones) and start right-clicking and disabling things starting with those you don't really use, try right-clicking after each (you need to restart Explorer, but the crash is going to do it for you...) and see if it fixes the issue eventually. Leave that one disabled and reenable the others.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 9:44 PM, Kilrah said:

If you sort the entries by Type you'll find a group of things in the "Context Menu" category. Start going over those you can see are from programs you installed (i.e. skip Microsoft ones) and start right-clicking and disabling things starting with those you don't really use, try right-clicking after each (you need to restart Explorer, but the crash is going to do it for you...) and see if it fixes the issue eventually. Leave that one disabled and reenable the others.

Hi there, I know this was some time ago but I finally got around to trying what you said. Turns out Nvidia CPL Context Menu Extension seems to be causing it, when disabling it and reenabling it, it fixes my problem. Any idea what's going on there?

• 3 months later...
On 8/9/2022 at 2:59 AM, Kilrah said:

Nosir. Same problem here, completely new vanilla Win 11 install. Happens out of the box.  I can stop it for a bit by opening Folder Options and clearing the File Explorer History, but it comes back fast.