Bypass region change limit on optical drive?

I just recently learned about regions for DVDs and Blu-Rays, and that lead me down a bit of a rabbit hole. At the bottom was the disappointing discovery I can only change the region on my optical drive five times. This honestly isn't a problem I need to solve, at least not right now, but it still bothers me a fair bit.

So obviously my first thought is, surely someone's hacked out a solution to bypass this, right? It's pretty normal nowadays to bypass region locks with VPNs, so there's gotta be an old-school equivalent. I did a bit of googling, but actually couldn't find anything on bypassing the region change limit. Maybe I wasn't asking the right way.

Hopefully someone here knows. Thanks!

Region-locked optical drives are old-school.

I guess I'm ancient.  I still believe dirt is region-locked by virtue of a man-made construction called borders.

I'm not going to give you specific directions because that could violate a code of conduct of the forums.  The most I will say is that depending on the model, you can find modified firmware for the drive.

I mean, that's what we did in the OLDEN TIMES.

Whoops, didn't think about whether or not it was a good idea to post this here... But anyway, thanks!

I'm guessing that you haven't heard of KODI which ignores the drive region coding as it uses its own settings for region coding (although you do need specific files that allow playback of commercial blu-ray discs that it won't have because licensing).

I state that because region coding only affects video releases and such that used the region coding system.