I'm still using a 1070ti

07kennya

And while I'm certain it could continue to serve me well for quite some time GPU prices coming down has made me consider upgrading, but a quick flick through LTT vids and there's not really any points of comparison to more recent cards so are there any well curated bench marking results out there that use relatively consistent setups so I can really inform a purchase decision, I'm already having to find a MoBo for an i5 9600k which hurts my soul/bank account just to have an expansion slot for the Vive's Wireless adapter Wigig card which in-turn necessitates a bigger case to house it then I really wonder what else I can justify right now

If you are having problems justifying spending money on a GPU, you should really focus on those rather then buying a new gpu. 3060 is basically a 1080ti with slightly better performance. But again prices will continue to drop until either Launch date announced (then used pricing will drop further, thus it would  be an ideal time to buy) or just wait. Im personally still using a 1080ti, and it still works fine. As long as they get the job done and perform well, you do not need to ugprade. Plus you are CPU limited, the 9600k is going to be holding you back a ton since intel made it Single threaded, so i wouldnt really focus on spending on a gpu fully yet. 

If your looking for an AMD variant I can suggest the RX 6600 XT or something thats similar in value.

no reason to upgrade until more affordable 4k100+ monitors imo

1070ti will get 1440p80+ on most games, maybe not bf2042. higher shadow settings are not worth it, plus you'll get them and 144 on most game anyway

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

If it works, stop worrying about it for now.  FOMO is what destroys savings.  If it doesn't meet your immediate needs, I'd still wait unless it's actively costing you money/opportunities as supposedly even with the large price drop new cards have had due to the glut of inventory, lower-end cards of the new generation will reportedly perform better than some of the higher cards of the current (ex. 4070 performing better than 3080) at a (again supposedly) lower price point.

I still run a 10XX gen card as well.  Only thing I kind of want is ray-tracing, but not enough to shell out the money for a new GPU just yet.  Don't want to bother until I replace everything, and I've got more important bills to pay right now.

Another alternative might be to find something used, take a chance on a card that was used for mining or something, do a repaste on it if necessary.  Mining cards would be more likely to have been run at constant loads/temps than cards used for gaming I suppose, but then there's the question of how hard they were constantly run.  Couple videos on Youtube about that topic...