SSD Quality for long term storage

shinegull

I'm looking to get a bunch of SSDs for my NAS, as my drives are starting to fill up again. For use case, I will be dumping several TB of data onto the drives maybe 2 or 3 times year. I dont need to access the file much afterwards  except maybe every couple months. Not much will be deleted. so I'm assuming I wont be moving a file once its on the drive until half a decade later

Would it be better if I went for something like samsung or crucial or something more well known or should i go for something like silicon power or PNY.  I'll be aiming mostly to get 2 to 4 tb per drive right now. I'm mostly taking a glance at the drives shown from ca.partpicker.

Is there a reason why your getting ssds here? HDDs seem to make much more sense for this use case. 

The big brands will likely be more reliable, if its worth it depends on how much redundancy and backups you have. Id probably spend slightly more on the name brand normally.

Intel Data Center grade SSDs if you want the drives to survive a nuclear war or asteroid collision. Not as cheap as the consumer stuff, but Armageddon proof.

Spinners are fine for just hording stuff long term.

18 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is there a reason why your getting ssds here? HDDs seem to make much more sense for this use case. 

The big brands will likely be more reliable, if its worth it depends on how much redundancy and backups you have. Id probably spend slightly more on the name brand normally.

I tried the hdd route. but this it just a home nas with unraid. so it will be in the room. Noise was bearable at the beginning, but when you start adding a couple more drives, noise starts to increase. ssd in comparison is basically silent. so noise was one issue i took into consideration for ssd over hdd

rather than backup, its more of a file server dumping ground for me. I'd like to keep the file, but i dont need constant access to it. hence the periodic access every couple months. I wuold turn it on as needed, move files over, check a couple things, then shut it down. up time is usually a couple days long at once at most

7 hours ago, wseaton said:

Intel Data Center grade SSDs if you want the drives to survive a nuclear war or asteroid collision. Not as cheap as the consumer stuff, but Armageddon proof.

Spinners are fine for just hording stuff long term.

I... don't think i need it to last an armeggadon....thats why i was looking at something more consumer grade. so long as the file is there in case i need to acces it, then its fine. in theory, its write a file once, and i probably wont delete or move for a long time

On 8/10/2022 at 11:41 AM, lol old teck guy said:

how long do you plan on holding the data? Most SSD's have lifespans of a decade, but may last longer if you are not actively writing or reading data to the drive (NAND flash cell has limited cycles). Here's a website to hopefully help you: SSD Lifespan: How Long Will Your SSD Work? | Enterprise Storage Forum

however long it can hold it? maybe a decade or so? I intend to write a file to that drive once then just keep it there. until i need to replace the drive, by which point, it will a drive with a larger amount of space on it. since unraid maxes out at about 30 drives per array, i think, with 2 tb drives, ill get about 50 to 60 tb. that should last me for a bout 5 to 10 years at the rate im going. maybe longer

im looking at this based on what im seeing on pcpartpicker, I'm probably looking at about $125 per tb. give or take a bit

just wondering if i could go a bit lower in cost by using something from this list. after that its crucial or samsung as other options, but they cost a bit more per tb. not much at first, but it will add up after a dozen drives...

image.png.c1828c0cf54286c08c16bc0117e1fbf8.png