Gaming laptop forcefully shutting itself down whenever the GPU reaches 80 degrees.

d_ytme

Hello! I've been experiencing a problem with a laptop I've recently acquired from HP: A Victus i5 11th Gen. with an RTX 3050ti.

Yesterday, the laptop started "randomly" shutting itself down. Upon some detective work, we came to the conclusion that this happened whenever the GPU's temperature exceeded 80 degrees.

My question for the forum is: Is there any way to change this behavior from a complete shut-down to a thermal throttle? Google gave me no results and I'm starting to get desperate on fixing this.

To note that we are unaware if this always was the case and the laptop's GPU simply did not reach 80 degrees so far (it's still new) or if it's something we could've done.

Also to note that this behavior happens on any battery performance setting.

There is probably a bios setting you can tweak to change the behavior of what the PC does at certain temperatures. Could also look into undervolting the GPU using MSI Afterburner.

Another option to prevent this from happening is by getting a fan tray to sit your laptop on to aid airflow. Could always set a frame rate limit or lower some settings to take load off of the GPU if you need to as well.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

1 minute ago, TylerD321 said:

There is probably a bios setting you can tweak to change the behavior of what the PC does at certain temperatures. Could also look into undervolting the GPU using MSI Afterburner.

Would have loved to have such freedoms but manufactures literally lock the Advanced BIOS tab from users. Already tried this in MSI Afterburner but it appears underclocking is not an option either, whatever settings I may apply nothing changes and upon a restart everything is back to default.

1 minute ago, d_ytme said:

Would have loved to have such freedoms but manufactures literally lock the Advanced BIOS tab from users. Already tried this in MSI Afterburner but it appears underclocking is not an option either, whatever settings I may apply nothing changes and upon a restart everything is back to default.

It has been a few years but I have gotten MSI afterburner to work on a laptop before. I haven't tried in a while as I moved away from gaming laptops. IIRC there was a setting somewhere to make MSI Afterburner to start at boot and you could create profiles for it to save. Really the best way to make sure a laptop doesn't get hot is to keep the fans clean and the laptop on a hard, flat surface - not your lap or on a cover.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

if you cant tweak those settings could you tweak the fan speeds.
I dunno what HPs come with in terms of software but a lot of laptops have some from of control centre software that lets you adjust fan curves. speeding the fan up a bit might help keep things cooler.. something like this?
image.thumb.png.38412654bc535f7dffec92c8c82b16da.png
might even be something you could do in msi afterburner. i havent actually used it for years. speeding the fans up might keep it cooler and prevent it shutting off.

a laptop cooling pad might be helpful, but it can sometimes be a challenge to find one thats both effective and quiet.

if it's a recent purchase try contacting HP and if necessary getting it RMA'd.