Jump to content

Does this actually work? USB to PWM 5V

ArcticApe
 Share

Well it just supplies straight 5V to a fan and that's it, so if you have a fan that runs with 5V it will...

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

 

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

 

GPD Win 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ArcticApe said:

can elaborate

Please do so

 

1 hour ago, ArcticApe said:

does it even actually work

Yes. It just takes the 5V pins from the USB and puts them on the right ins in the fan connector

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually did a fan to usb project about a month ago and ran into this issue. I had an 80mm fan hooked up to a similar 5v cable and it did not have enough power to get the fan started to spin. I ended up buying a different cable that worked fine and was actually able to spin the fan. View link below.

 

Amazon.com: CRJ Full Speed 12V Voltage Step-Up USB to 3-Pin and 4-Pin PC Fan Sleeved Power Adapter Cable : Electronics

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

 

 

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600 Wired
Keyboard: SteelSeries Apex 5  – (Hybrid Blue Switch)
Headphones: SteelSeries Arctis 9X Wireless - Black

Speakers: Mackie CR3-X 3 Inch Speakers Pair
UPS: APC 1500VA UPS Battery Backup and Surge Protector

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

I actually did a fan to usb project about a month ago and ran into this issue. I had an 80mm fan hooked up to a similar 5v cable and it did not have enough power to get the fan started to spin. I ended up buying a different cable that worked fine and was actually able to spin the fan. View link below.

 

Amazon.com: CRJ Full Speed 12V Voltage Step-Up USB to 3-Pin and 4-Pin PC Fan Sleeved Power Adapter Cable : Electronics

12V Voltage Step-Up so it increase the 5v to 12v but decrees that amount of amps you can do w/e the stander 5v usb amps has i be leave that's how it works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, OddOod said:

Please do so

 

Yes. It just takes the 5V pins from the USB and puts them on the right ins in the fan connector

Have a laptop with a broken fan but everything else works, gonna stitch it up to a wooden board and make a wall computer type of thing to use for studies (desk is small so no room for regular laptop without it being annoyingly cramped)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ArcticApe said:

Have a laptop with a broken fan but everything else works, gonna stitch it up to a wooden board and make a wall computer type of thing to use for studies (desk is small so no room for regular laptop without it being annoyingly cramped)

Given that it's gonna be in your room, you might want to get something like this to control speed
https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-Stepless-Controller-Regulator-Switch/dp/B07PMNLMMH

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×