Motherboard has 2 Ethernet ports, how do I use one of them for Internet and the other for LAN?

Question is pretty much straight forward.

I'm currently running an ethernet cable running from my Powerline adapter to my PC so I can get fastest internet speeds available on my line. The router and other equipment is located downstairs on the main floor, where all of the required cabling comes inside my apartment. I can't move that hardware upstairs to my room.

I now have a different router (a Cisco EPC3925, supplied by a previous ISP) that I want to use as a LAN. The reason being, I've got a Quest 2 and would prefer to use Air Link. Now, knowing that the downstairs router does broadcast Wi-Fi, it's not a viable solution for me, as the two devices are too far apart and the experience would not be the best.

I wanted to connect both Ethernet cables into my PC, and still have access to the broader internet, whilst being connected to the Cisco to use Air Link simultaneously. This has worked before, as I tried it out multiple times, but it's a hit or miss.

The reason why I say hit or miss is because sometimes my PC recongises the Cisco router as the "main" router and cuts me off from Internet entirely. It completely disregards the connection that actually connects me to the internet. Is there a way I can set my 100Mbit Ethernet port as the one for Internet exclusively and the 1Gbit port for LAN only?

You can set priority of the 100Mb port to be lower like 1 or 10 and the gig port to something higher like 100 or 500.

You do that under the interface properties for each NIC.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

You can set priority of the 100Mb port to be lower like 1 or 10 and the gig port to something higher like 100 or 500.

You do that under the interface properties for each NIC.

How would I do that? I assume it's in the NIC properties settings?

Just now, ThatOneMark said:

How would I do that? I assume it's in the NIC properties settings?

Yah, under the properties and then advanced settings there should be a Metric setting

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Surely the trick here is you want the second router in Access Point mode then just plug the link from the Powerline into that as well as the PC?  No need to mess around with a complicated setup.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Surely the trick here is you want the second router in Access Point mode then just plug the link from the Powerline into that as well as the PC?  No need to mess around with a complicated setup.

Good point, I didn't even think about that 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: