Low fps in games with RTX 2060.

I have i5 4440 and 8 GB RAM. I upgraded my GPU to RTX 2060 but I am getting only 10 - 20 fps in games with a 1080p medium setting.

Games tried: GTA 5 and God of war.

In starting of gameplay it shows 60+ fps but then it goes down to 20- fps. GPU temp remains at around 50 - 60 Celcius.

An i5 4440 will most certainly bottleneck an RTX 2060. I think your CPU is holding you back here. Have you done any benchmarks?

It's probably your 8GB RAM. Your games run smooth until RAM fills up. 16GB is the minimum for modern games nowadays. I would also upgrade CPU and motherboard too. The i5 4440 is a weak 4 core 4 thread CPU and even the cheapest 12th gen Intel i3 is much faster. There's no point in buying more DDR3 RAM anymore. 

Intel Core i5-13600KF @ 5.4/4.3Ghz (P/E) / Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black / ASRock Z790 PG Lightning / 32GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 @ 6400Mhz CL32 / PowerColor Radeon RX 6950 XT Red Devil 16GB @ 2700Mhz / Samsung 980 Pro 1TB / WD Blue SN570 2TB / Corsair RM1000x / Lian Li Lancool 216 / Lenovo G27Q-20 (1440p & 165Hz IPS)

2 minutes ago, MLConian said:

An i5 4440 will most certainly bottleneck an RTX 2060. I think your CPU is holding you back here. Have you done any benchmarks?

No,

Not yet

What are CPU temps under load?

2 minutes ago, MLConian said:

Still shouldn't give 10-20 fps. It's better than the recommended CPU for GTA 5. God of war should also give better framerate.

That is most likely a bottleneck. If you haven't yet, install application like msi afterburner, for you to monitor fps and usage. When you are gaming, if you see your cpu, i5 4440 at 100% utilization, but your gpu like 60% or lower. It would confirm that it's really too much bottleneck. Basically, the gpu is waiting for your cpu to finish processing as it takes too long.

1 hour ago, Pixelfie said:

Still shouldn't give 10-20 fps. It's better than the recommended CPU for GTA 5. God of war should also give better framerate.

Just checked my CPU temp at idle

temp is too high

delete 2.PNG

7 minutes ago, spiderman31 said:

Just checked my CPU temp at idle

temp is too high

delete 2.PNG

Is stock cooler enough for cooling or not?

Yes, stock cooler is enough for that CPU.

Clean the cooler and remount it. Confirm the fan works on it.

2 hours ago, Pixelfie said:

1 minute ago, Slizzo said:

Yes, stock cooler is enough for that CPU.

Clean the cooler and remount it. Confirm the fan works on it.

Yes, i think CPU fan connector was loose 😅

My mistake...

2 hours ago, Pixelfie said:

2 hours ago, spiderman31 said:

I have i5 4440 and 8 GB RAM. I upgraded my GPU to RTX 2060 but I am getting only 10 - 20 fps in games with a 1080p medium setting.

Games tried: GTA 5 and God of war.

In starting of gameplay it shows 60+ fps but then it goes down to 20- fps. GPU temp remains at around 50 - 60 Celcius.

After fixing fan,

I getting solid 40 fps in 1080p Original in God of war..

Thanks everyone for your help