My Ryzen 7 5700x has random

Go to solution Solved by BiotechBen,
1 hour ago, himan8fd said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand this is just normal for ryzen 5000. I just recently upgraded from a ryzen 5 3600 and I might just return the 5700x and wait for next gen for an upgrade.

Ryzen (especially 5000) will do single core boost for high frequency momentarily, which doesn't help that Ryzen reports hotspot rather than individual cores by default. So it may have gone balls to the wall for half a second while a background task was going and the instantaneous thermal was slightly higher. Ryzen is going to idle generally in the high 50s. If you look at the task manager pane, during the prime 95 it's going 3.16ghz, and in the other it's registering 4.34ghz. don't panic about momentary spikes, it's totally normal. I've had three different Ryzen chips do the same thing. If it is continuously idling at 70, that's an issue.

My cpu temps spikes to ~69°c while doing not much

image.thumb.png.afaa7c2994b9debd167a77b5daef266e.png

but while running prime95 small ffts my temps only hit around 55 which is also what I'm usually idling around

image.thumb.png.28150127919c27c5cc9872cf0868927a.png

8 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Looks like it might just be single thread boosting. Numbers are completely within spec.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand this is just normal for ryzen 5000. I just recently upgraded from a ryzen 5 3600 and I might just return the 5700x and wait for next gen for an upgrade.

1 hour ago, himan8fd said:

Ryzen (especially 5000) will do single core boost for high frequency momentarily, which doesn't help that Ryzen reports hotspot rather than individual cores by default. So it may have gone balls to the wall for half a second while a background task was going and the instantaneous thermal was slightly higher. Ryzen is going to idle generally in the high 50s. If you look at the task manager pane, during the prime 95 it's going 3.16ghz, and in the other it's registering 4.34ghz. don't panic about momentary spikes, it's totally normal. I've had three different Ryzen chips do the same thing. If it is continuously idling at 70, that's an issue.