Linux NOT an OS for non-advanced users that have neither an IT department NOR an official tech support team (not random help threads) backing it.

I've been making this point on LinkedIn "discussions" over and over again yet no one listens. No one I've "spoken" to acknowledge that Linux just isn't something for non-advanced user to simply switch to (or even simply "learn"), namely, the mass unwashed masses of plebeian Windows users like me.

Minor disclaimer: I don't even exactly qualify as one of those "unwashed masses" that I just referred to. I use Linux daily on my engineering job, and I've been a PC user since 1985. However, as far as Linux is concerned I wouldn't be able to extricate myself from some if not all of trouble that experienced users would deem "simple" to fix.

Cases in point, the four-part Linux Daily Driver series that Linus did last year, starting with this one:

Watching those videos I had this sense of vindication... "See? I'm not imagining things! I'm not crazy, so people can stop gaslighting me and insulting me for pointing this stuff out!"

My personal experiences with Linux haven't been positive. For the last 20 years I have tried various Linux distros at least 15 if not 20 separate times, each and every time forced to give up and go back to Windows. There's always some issue which I'm unwilling to jump through hoops for, and when I did bother to jump, I had to navigate a labyrinth of headache-inducing forum help threads that only help some of the times. The most annoying stuff have to do with broken dependencies, others have to do with video breaking so I get blank screen on startup. I've tried, oh Lord knows I've TRIED, to fix stuff by going through threads but it either ends in abject failure or going to endless strings of threads that I'm not willing to serially comb through. Why should I have to deal with those things? I don't, and that's the point of it all. I just go back to Windows where solutions aren't nearly as complex because mostly the problems have been engineered away by armies of PAID software coders and engineers working at Microsoft. You simply can't expect such easy stuff to come from volunteers working on their spare time. When I'm at work, I can call my department's IT support if there are Linux issues (there have never been any Linux OS issues because it's a mission-critical enterprise environment where downtime cost MILLIONS) but when I'm at home, I'm on my own.

Those who are interested in learning and mastering Linux should understand those who don't, and chastising them (...or worse, and I've personally been through plenty of this "worse") isn't going to turn any of them into those who do. People like me belong in the majority of computer users ( https://distrocrunch.com/linux-market-share-2021/ ) whether they like it or not.

Did you really mean LinkedIn discussions?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Did you really mean LinkedIn discussions?

I don't think of them as discussions as much as being talked down.

8 minutes ago, pixelated_sunglasses said:

I've been making this point on LinkedIn "discussions" over and over again yet no one listens. No one I've "spoken" to acknowledge that Linux just isn't something for non-advanced user to simply switch to (or even simply "learn"), namely, the mass unwashed masses of plebeian Windows users like me.

Minor disclaimer: I don't even exactly qualify as one of those "unwashed masses" that I just referred to. I use Linux daily on my engineering job, and I've been a PC user since 1985. However, as far as Linux is concerned I wouldn't be able to extricate myself from some if not all of trouble that experienced users would deem "simple" to fix.

Cases in point, the four-part Linux Daily Driver series that Linus did last year, starting with this one:

Watching those videos I had this sense of vindication... "See? I'm not imagining things! I'm not crazy, so people can stop gaslighting me and insulting me for pointing this stuff out!"

My personal experiences with Linux haven't been positive. For the last 20 years I have tried various Linux distros at least 15 if not 20 separate times, each and every time forced to give up and go back to Windows. There's always some issue which I'm unwilling to jump through hoops for, and when I did bother to jump, I had to navigate a labyrinth of headache-inducing forum help threads that only help some of the times. The most annoying stuff have to do with broken dependencies, others have to do with video breaking so I get blank screen on startup. I've tried, oh Lord knows I've TRIED, to fix stuff by going through threads but it either ends in abject failure or going to endless strings of threads that I'm not willing to serially comb through. Why should I have to deal with those things? I don't, and that's the point of it all. I just go back to Windows where solutions aren't nearly as complex because mostly the problems have been engineered away by armies of PAID software coders and engineers working at Microsoft. You simply can't expect such easy stuff to come from volunteers working on their spare time. When I'm at work, I can call my department's IT support if there are Linux issues (there have never been any Linux OS issues because it's a mission-critical enterprise environment where downtime cost MILLIONS) but when I'm at home, I'm on my own.

Those who are interested in learning and mastering Linux should understand those who don't, and chastising them (...or worse, and I've personally been through plenty of this "worse") isn't going to turn any of them into those who do. People like me belong in the majority of computer users ( https://distrocrunch.com/linux-market-share-2021/ ) whether they like it or not.

after switching to Linux i basically relied on the ltt forums

i still dont plan to switch back as i enjoy linux more than windows

It depends on what you typically do with your PC.

For web browsing and printing the average person should not have any issues using it.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, person123456789 said:

after switching to Linux i basically relied on the ltt forums

i still dont plan to switch back as i enjoy linux more than windows

I would enjoy Linux if not for all the issues that make me switch back.

Just now, pixelated_sunglasses said:

I would enjoy Linux if not for all the issues that make me switch back.

i've just learned to cope with the issues

Just now, Vishera said:

It depends on what you typically do with your PC.

For web browsing and printing the average person should not have any issues using it.

What about when the screen goes black on startup and I can't even see the Linux desktop, and editing some files didn't help

1 minute ago, pixelated_sunglasses said:

What about when the screen goes black on startup and I can't even see the Linux desktop, and editing some files didn't help

i asked in the ltt discord on another computer and it worked

2 minutes ago, pixelated_sunglasses said:

but it wasnt that extreme though

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Linux is just a niche OS type, its useful for server stuff, and if you dont game on the computer, linux can be fine. Otherwise Linux simply does not make sense for most people.

There were cases where I couldn't even get the Linux desktop, and nothing I tried work

There were cases where I couldn't even get the Linux desktop, and nothing I tried work

i also got into that situation and i got a solution in the ltt discord

Just now, person123456789 said:

i haven;t experienced that

You haven't experienced what Linus experienced when he made his vids either

"I haven't experience those issues in the OS, therefore the OS has no such issues"

Just now, person123456789 said:

i also got into that situation and i got a solution in the ltt discord

Just as you "didn't run into that situation" I "didn't run into your situation" either

"I haven't experience those issues in the OS, therefore the OS has no such issues"

i have experienced a thing when i only had access to the basic terminal

nothing else

I think you're reading far too into what that person said. They didn't say Linux doesn't have that issue, just that they hadn't ran into that.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just as you "didn't run into that situation" I "didn't run into your situation" either

yes

Well, that's the beauty of Linux: nobody forces you to use it. Unlike some other OSes :old-eyeroll:

If Linux is not for you, fine, it's not for you. But don't generalise and claim all 'normies' can't use Linux, just because. Do yourself a favour and conduct an experiment: install Linux on a random system and use it. Write down every issue you encounter. When you're done, wipe the drive and repeat with Win-OS. Every time you run into something that's not supported OOTB, write it down. When you're done again, compare the lists. I predict there's not a whole lot of difference between them. Some issues will differ, sure, but overall the result will probably be within the margin of error.

Remember, some of the issues Linus ranted about in the video you linked were of his own making, by not RTFM. Or ask for advise from those in his staff that know their way in Linux-land.

PS: Manjaro, and other RPM based distro's, are notorious for "dependency hell" as you described. Debian based distro's use apt, which is vastly superior in conflict package management resolution. Have you tried Mint, Ubuntu or even Devuan?

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

3 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

i have experienced a thing when i only had access to the basic terminal

nothing else

Same here, solutions I ran across didn't work

3 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

PS: Manjaro, and other RPM based distro's, are notorious for "dependency hell" as you described. Debian based distro's use apt, which is vastly superior in conflict package management resolution. Have you tried Mint, Ubuntu or even Devuan?

probably the reason i didn't get major issues as i use pop os

Same here, solutions I ran across didn't work

oh well i asked in the ltt discord and it worked

actually

3 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Well, that's the beauty of Linux: nobody forces you to use it. Unlike some other OSes :old-eyeroll:

If Linux is not for you, fine, it's not for you. But don't generalise and claim all 'normies' can't use Linux, just because. Do yourself a favour and conduct an experiment: install Linux on a random system and use it. Write down every issue you encounter. When you're done, wipe the drive and repeat with Win-OS. Every time you run into something that's not supported OOTB, write it down. When you're done again, compare the lists. I predict there's not a whole lot of difference between them. Some issues will differ, sure, but overall the result will probably be within the margin of error.

Remember, some of the issues Linus ranted about in the video you linked were of his own making, by not RTFM. Or ask for advise from those in his staff that know their way in Linux-land.

Does that include not getting the desktop at all