I found my lost USB... on some pants that I put in the washing machine.

Ube

Nothing important was on it. But I'd like to keep using it if possible. Is it safe to connect it to my PC and check if it still works? The USB is completely dry.

2 minutes ago, Ube said:

Nothing important was on it. But I'd like to keep using it if possible. Is it safe to connect it to my PC and check if it still works? The USB is completely dry.

You can try.  I'd have done the old "Put it in rice" method first, to make sure it's been sucked dry of any water.

11 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

You can try.  I'd have done the old "Put it in rice" method first, to make sure it's been sucked dry of any water.

the rice thing should never be done with closed off devices. Especially with devices that are in a closed shell like phones and USB. Open it up, remove excess water, let it dry. Simply dunking it in rice won't affect closed off device and just give the water more time to corrode it.
If anything, you're better off dunking it in more water (distilled) and shaking it off+ waiting a few days. At least that way there won't be minerals deposits on the traces to cause corrosion(distilled water is also almost non conductive).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

the rice thing should never be done with closed off devices. Especially with devices that are in a closed shell like phones and USB. Open it up, remove excess water, let it dry. Simply dunking it in rice won't affect closed off device and just give the water more time to corrode it.
If anything, you're better off dunking it in more water (distilled) and shaking it off+ waiting a few days. At least that way there won't be minerals deposits on the traces to cause corrosion(distilled water is also almost non conductive).

I shall remember that for the future.  Thank you.

20 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Having gone through a washing machine with soap, I'd be inclined to do this. Soap can have some metals in it depending on which detergent you're using. 

32 minutes ago, Ube said:

I'd open it, clean it with IPA and let it dry. Higher percentage of IPA to water the better.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Yea if it's possible to pop open the shell, and clean out the insides with some distilled water or iso.  Water has a tendency to just condensate inside otherwise, and eventually ruin the device.

Would try plugging into an old pc if possible, just to make sure there isn't a short somewhere as well.

The rice trick can work a bit if you can't open it...but you need to keep it in the rice for realistically a really long time.  Might even be worthwhile dunking it in iso initially to try getting a bit of the water "dissolved" into the water...as iso will evaporate easier.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

If you can crack it open check for corrosion. Clean up with some IP and plug it into a a machine. USB on systems is rather resilent and also had a lot of protections on it. It will either work or not. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Clean the board with isopropyl alcohol (which displaces water), blow it off with a duster can or air compressor, and leave it somewhere warm to dry for a couple days. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I regularly wash my cheap wired headphones in the washing machine, really prevents that wax buildup 

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz