PLEASE HELP.. NO POST WITH DRAM LIGHT RED

xm1st

So I had a R5 3400g in my computer and recently bought a R5 5600, so I go to install the new cpu and I forgot to check if I had the right bios on my b450. I installed the new cpu and fan, and go to turn it on and I got no image(RGBs,Fans turned on though)

so I go and put in my old processor in to go and flash the bios to the newest one to get my 5600 to work, and now my old 3400g isn't posting as well? The dram light is red on my mobo debug lights, but the ram worked perfectly before I had tried to install the 5600... My computer turns on (RGBs,Fans) but I get no display and no usb power as well....

Could I have fried my mobo or ram some how by not getting the newest bios before putting in the 5600?

I have tried 

-alternating ram sticks, using 1 at a time and trying all slots

- resetting my CMOS battery by taking it out

- taking all components out and putting them back in 

I don't know what to do...

Specs 

Aorus elite b450 

16 GB's Corsiar vengeance lpx 2933mhz

Ryzen 5 3400g 

GTX 1060 6gb 

3 minutes ago, xm1st said:

resetting my CMOS battery by taking it out

reset the bios correctly according to the manual , just popping out the battery for a few seconds these days isn't going to be the correct method.

I've taken it out for 5 minutes and held the power button for 30 seconds while the battery is out and that's what it says 

I know that ASRock with their Ryzen 5000 ready BIOS tells you up front that raven ridge and pinnacle ridge (Zen, Zen+) will not be as good in the system after the update. 3400G falls into that category.

3 minutes ago, xm1st said:

I've taken it out for 5 minutes and held the power button for 30 seconds while the battery is out and that's what it says 

no , according to your manual that board has a reset jumper , the manual does not state to do the method you described

Wouldn't that be the same as bridging the jumpers though?  

I'll try it rn regardless

I don't think CMOS is the problem. The BIOS probably needs to be updated, and some boards do allow that with no CPU, IF it has a dedicated BIOS flash port. But if OP has the previous CPU (or some other CPU supported by the BIOS), they need only put that CPU in, which will allow them to update the BIOS that way also. It is also common on older boards like this for the mfr to strip support for older devices and processors to allow support for newer ones. This is one reason I would never run a Zen3 on a B450 other than to test it.

And thanks @BiotechBen - I think this explains why my interim build while my Asus board is being RMA'd, using the ASRock B450M HDV4.0, is displaying a constant hourglass symbol in Windows. It has the update, because it booted with the 5900X.

But @emosun is right -- it does take at least 5-10 minutes for some boards, and even then you still have to cross the CLRTS jumpers. And even that should be done for at least 30-60 seconds. I left a flat-blade leaning against mine for about 30 minutes just to be sure. But that's not something you want to do connected to power, because if it falls and shorts something else out, you've got bigger problems.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Just now, An0maly_76 said:

I don't think CMOS is the problem. The BIOS probably needs to be updated, and some boards do allow that with no CPU, IF it has a dedicated BIOS flash port. But if OP has the previous CPU (or some other CPU supported by the BIOS), they need only put that CPU in, which will allow them to update the BIOS that way also.

But emosun is right -- it does take at least 5-10 minutes for some boards, and even then you still have to cross the CLRTS jumpers. And even that should be done for at least 30-60 seconds. I left a flat-blade leaning against mine for about 30 minutes just to be sure. But that's not something you want to do connected to power, because if it falls and shorts something else out, you've got bigger problems.

See that's what I was thinking, just put in my old 3400g and update the bios. But my 3400g doesn't post now either. And that's what I've been using for a year 

2 minutes ago, xm1st said:

See that's what I was thinking, just put in my old 3400g and update the bios. But my 3400g doesn't post now either. And that's what I've been using for a year 

I do think @BiotechBenis right though. I updated my previous post to reflect this -- I actually have an ASRock B450M HDV4.0 that acts a little weird with a 3600X, and his thoughts explain why.

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I mean the motherboard has been working fine with my 3400g for the past year and had no issues, I just don't understand why old cpu isn't booting up when all I did was put in the 5600 and see if it would post 

1 minute ago, xm1st said:

I mean the motherboard has been working fine with my 3400g for the past year and had no issues, I just don't understand why old cpu isn't booting up when all I did was put in the 5600 and see if it would post 

So you didn't have to do an update for the 5600?

Have you tried reseating the RAM? It's very easy to bump things enough to slightly unseat them without realizing it.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I didn't do one, I read online it shipped with the update but only after Nov 21' but I bought mine a long time ago...

When i put in the 5600 the LEDs and fans turned on but I got no usb power or image to moniters and now I get the same with my 3400 after I put in the 5600...

So now I cannot use either cpu on this motherboard for some reason and my dram light stays red when my ram worked perfectly fine yesterday