M.2 Identification

wmontaney

So, this is a total newb question as I pretty much know nothing about the SSD m.2 world.

How can you tell the difference between a Gen 3 and Gen4?

Computer will primarily be used for AutoCAD and office use, with slight gaming when I am bored with drawing things for a while.

I am looking on pcpartpicker and when looking at the drives, I do not see anything that tells me which gen each drive is?

I would like a Gen 4 for my boot drive and then a Gen 3 for my storage.

Thank you.

If it doesn't clearly indicate Gen 3 or Gen 4 i guess speeds can somewhat determine it.  Gen 3 m.2's top out at a max of 4,000 MB/s where gen 4 goes to i think 7,400 MB/s transfer speeds.

Just a tip as its something I recently learned is in the world of m.2 drives there are different types even in gen3 vs gen 4... you will see some labeled SLC/TLC/QLC...Single Layer, Triple Layer and Quad Layer...  personally i would never buy QLC again as the speed slows down as it fills up with data and TLC is a lot faster no matter how full the drive.  Also I would highly recommended getting an NVME that has DRAM onboard.  Go with a TLC drive with Dram and it will haul ass no matter how full the drive is.