Looking for a "dumb" TV

Hey community,

I'm looking for a new TV to replace my ~10 year old Samsung TV. I'm located in Germany just as a reference for availability... if this matters.
Basically I'm looking for a dumb screen with awesome picture quality because I'm using a PC as a base. No cable TV, no Netflix, no "smart" stuff is needed. Everything will be streamed off my HTPC.
I'm also no console gamer so no need for any gaming related specs.

I would like a screen with ~65'' because i already have 55'' and I don’t have enough space for 75'', also the image quality of 4k seems to suffer at around 75''.

I'm looking for a good/nice image quality and would be happy so be under the 2000$/€ mark.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm currently settled on the Sony A80J or A90J

Not an answer but my experience.

I am in Sweden and like 6 years ago I got a screen from Swedx, an older model, compared to this one:

https://swedx.se/product_info.php?cPath=133_159&products_id=2220&osCsid=s80gbvei3pb4e5pjckduh1go75

I bought this one because at that time one needed to pay the TV tax if you had a TV receiver at home. So I got this LCD screen. 2 months after I bought it, the tax rule was lifted and now it is "included" in the tax for everyone.

Anyway, this is the only place where I could find in the area around where it would be possible to get basically a big thin monitor, without any extra smartness.

26 minutes ago, Nathas said:

a dumb screen with awesome picture

I do not think that Swedx even lists HDR in the specs, so this is faaaar from awesome. In my case with 3 children at home, watching IPTV cartoons and some streaming from time to time, I am not that picky about the awesomeness of the picture.

It will be interesting though to hear from others if a 65" monitor exists.

Have you considered getting a projector maybe?

47 minutes ago, whispous said:

Don't forget, with almost all smart TVs, you can simply choose not to connect it to your network, thereby nullifying the distasteful smart features.

But i would rather choose not to pay for any "smart" features. If there is an alternative to it with any brand that have amazing image quality but crappy smart interface. 

9 minutes ago, tridy said:

Have you considered getting a projector maybe?

can't use a projector because im living in the attic and my has to squeece into the slope of the roof. I'm very limited there. Even for 65'' I need to change the whole layout of this room.

I mean LG's smart interface is pretty stupid and not that great to use.

Honestly, if you are looking a for a beautiful dumb tv, if you can find a second hand Toshiba Regza, get that. The picture is amazing, and you can cor calibrate it in the menu.

3 hours ago, Nathas said:

But i would rather choose not to pay for any "smart" features. If there is an alternative to it with any brand that have amazing image quality but crappy smart interface. 

Dumb TVs are a thing of the past. There are a few still around, but to my knowledge none of them come close to what smart TVs will be able to offer as that is what all the development and mainstream market is focussed at. Just don't use the smart features is the basic answer. Worst case you don't like the OS and you'll have the crappy interface that you are "looking for" from the dumb TV. Best case you realise it's not that bad and you'll have a better interface than a dumb TV.

4 hours ago, Nathas said:

Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm currently settled on the Sony A80J or A90J

Great TVs from what I read. Feed it good-quality material and you'll get one of the best picture qualities available nowadays with their OLED panels.

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

I mean LG's smart interface is pretty stupid and not that great to use.

What don't you like? I find webOS on my C9 pretty nice to use.

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

Honestly, if you are looking a for a beautiful dumb tv, if you can find a second hand Toshiba Regza, get that. The picture is amazing, and you can cor calibrate it in the menu.

That's a 1366x768 TV from 2007 from what I can find? I don't think that is what OP is looking for, given that they are already considering a recent 4k OLED TV.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

35 minutes ago, tikker said:

Dumb TVs are a thing of the past. There are a few still around, but to my knowledge none of them come close to what smart TVs will be able to offer as that is what all the development and mainstream market is focussed at. Just don't use the smart features is the basic answer. Worst case you don't like the OS and you'll have the crappy interface that you are "looking for" from the dumb TV. Best case you realise it's not that bad and you'll have a better interface than a dumb TV.

Great TVs from what I read. Feed it good-quality material and you'll get one of the best picture qualities available nowadays with their OLED panels.

What don't you like? I find webOS on my C9 pretty nice to use.

That's a 1366x768 TV from 2007 from what I can find? I don't think that is what OP is looking for, given that they are already considering a recent 4k OLED TV.

Toshiba Regza came in 1080p with 240 clearscan (actually good overscan) and amazing picture quality. Had one until recently when I couldn't justify moving a 50lb 42 in tv into a new apt. 

Toshiba 42ZV650U (I think)

The LG I have experience is a 50UM7300AUE which I'll admit is an older model with a worse chipset than new, it's just not super smooth and I'm gonna sound like a fanboy, but I like the versatility of my Roku tv more.

5 hours ago, Nathas said:

But i would rather choose not to pay for any "smart" features.

You don't pay for them. They use you for data.

Thanks a lot for all the information. Currently I'm setteled to stick to the Sony A80J 65''. In my opinion the benefit of the A90J is not that great. 

I think I will invest the savings into a soundbar... I had the Sonos Arc in mind but reading some comments the Samsung HW-Q80R is the better bang for the buck. I'm not willing to double the cost of the TV by the Sonos Arc+Sub