Are there any Tablets that can accommodate a M.2 2280 drive?

Ykcud

I am looking for a tablet with the below features, but I am not sure if one exists. I don't use tablets often.

Can accommodate a standard sized M.2 drive (2280).

Has at least one standard USB port.

Can have Windows 10 installed on it (or comes with it).

Upgrading the drive is reasonable in terms of upgradability.

Has at least 8GB of RAM.

10 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Steam Deck, perchance? 
A Surface? 

I like the Steam Deck, but it is not quite what I am looking for in my use case. I looked up the Surface tablets and they appear to be a nightmare to put a SSD into.

I think some of Aya's stuff might support it.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

On 8/7/2022 at 7:58 AM, Ykcud said:

I am looking for a tablet with the below features, but I am not sure if one exists. I don't use tablets often.

Can accommodate a standard sized M.2 drive (2280).

Has at least one standard USB port.

Can have Windows 10 installed on it (or comes with it).

Upgrading the drive is reasonable in terms of upgradability.

Has at least 8GB of RAM.

You're running into the grim reality of the Windows tablet market... namely, there isn't much of one. Apple largely cornered the tablet market, especially at the higher end, and Windows vendors have either stopped competing or limited themselves to 'safe' niches.

Realistically, I'd abandon dreams of replacing the SSD yourself and just get the best tablet that fits your budget. I'd lean toward the Surface Pro 8 if you're treating this more like a laptop replacement — it'll have the power you need for most tasks and is generally well-designed. Just remember that the keyboard attachment is virtually mandatory.

ASUS does have the ROG Flow Z13 tablet with an RTX 3050 Ti inside and an upgradeable M.2 2230 drive, but you're going to pay a premium and probably won't want to use the included keyboard for heavy-duty gaming.

On 8/8/2022 at 2:19 PM, Commodus said:

You're running into the grim reality of the Windows tablet market... namely, there isn't much of one. Apple largely cornered the tablet market, especially at the higher end, and Windows vendors have either stopped competing or limited themselves to 'safe' niches.

Realistically, I'd abandon dreams of replacing the SSD yourself and just get the best tablet that fits your budget. I'd lean toward the Surface Pro 8 if you're treating this more like a laptop replacement — it'll have the power you need for most tasks and is generally well-designed. Just remember that the keyboard attachment is virtually mandatory.

ASUS does have the ROG Flow Z13 tablet with an RTX 3050 Ti inside and an upgradeable M.2 2230 drive, but you're going to pay a premium and probably won't want to use the included keyboard for heavy-duty gaming.

Can't argue with the performance on the Z13 compared to the surface though...
12900h + 3050 Ti absolutely stomps the 1185g7 + Iris Xe

but yeah, you're limited to 2230 which maxes out at 1TB (for now, there's 2TB drives arriving at some point)

(also, the surface pricing is nuts IMO.... $2k+ for a last gen low power i7 & no dGPU when you can get a current gen high power i9 + 3050 Ti Z13 for $1700.... (both 1TB SSD + 16GB RAM)

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

Sounds like I am going to stick with the tablet I have. I was hoping to do a cheap upgrade for one I could stick an SSD into, but they are either way too expensive and/or upgrading them is a nightmare.

6 hours ago, Ykcud said:

Sounds like I am going to stick with the tablet I have. I was hoping to do a cheap upgrade for one I could stick an SSD into, but they are either way too expensive and/or upgrading them is a nightmare.

Yeah, the simple reality is that good tablet gaming usually means getting an iPad (in this case it'd likely be an iPad Air). Windows tablets with gaming chops are expensive, and there are few major tablet-friendly Windows games.

There is also a very gimmicky GPD pocket, but you have to check if it meets your SSD requirements.

Otherwise, what is it for? Thing is - upgradability is overrated - in many cases buying sensibly and maybe paying a premium upfront or storing the excess on the external is a better option