My new Crucial p2 2tb nvme ssd cause stutters in games

Sozi Salad
Go to solution Solved by Sozi Salad,
On 8/6/2022 at 7:29 PM, Sozi Salad said:

Hi y'all, i recently bought crucial P2, 2tb nvme... I ran crystal disk benchmark and got around 2gbs read and write speeds as advertised , and crystal disk info said my nvme's health is good, but after installing games on it I've noticed my games stutter now, like really annoying lags and hitching time to time (not in some games) well i know it's a QLC drive and dramless but everyone said it doesn't matter for gaming i never thought it could be this bad, my freaking 5200 rpm hdd didn't stutter at all, I've never experienced storage related stutters, well I've updated my bios and my ssd firmware using crucial utility , but stuttering still remains, even emulating ps2 ganes stutters every 5 seconds , like it's just embarrassing, I'm really devastated and don't know what to do, I'm dealing with this for a month now and i regret buying it (games with stutters so far are rdr2, factorio, csgo, mk11, pcsx2, etc)

PS : I've installed the nvme myself to my lenovo legion 5 laptop (2060 and i7 10th gen) and you can see my ssd graph during stuttering in game 

Screenshot_20220806-191449~2.png

To anyone who is reading this in the future from Google, I've finally found the solution after a month ! This problem was really obscure and i couldn't find any solution anywhere!
So first you need to unistall micron driver from storage controller in device manager
And let the generic windows driver control it.
So at this point if you have balanced power plan enabled the stuttering should be lessened considerably, if you switch to high performance (my preferred power plan) the stuttering will return, so now you should open registry and go here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\d639518a-e56d-4345-8af2-b9f32fb26109

All of the sub-folders here have an Attributes REG-DWORD in them (blue icon) , you need to change the values of all of them to 2 (most of them are 1) now you should go to your power plan settings and and your specific power plan andvanced settings, then you can see some hidden options have been appeared, so you need to go to "Primary Transition Latency Tolerance" and change the value from 0 to 15 (plugged in)
That's it! The stuttering is gone by only changing the value from 0 to 15! And btw you can mess around with other settings if you still get stutters with crucial p2. I did stupid amount of works for solving this issue, and yet the solution was this simple, i guess it made me more knowledgeable and wasn't a complete waste of time....

Hi y'all, i recently bought crucial P2, 2tb nvme... I ran crystal disk benchmark and got around 2gbs read and write speeds as advertised , and crystal disk info said my nvme's health is good, but after installing games on it I've noticed my games stutter now, like really annoying lags and hitching time to time (not in some games) well i know it's a QLC drive and dramless but everyone said it doesn't matter for gaming i never thought it could be this bad, my freaking 5200 rpm hdd didn't stutter at all, I've never experienced storage related stutters, well I've updated my bios and my ssd firmware using crucial utility , but stuttering still remains, even emulating ps2 ganes stutters every 5 seconds , like it's just embarrassing, I'm really devastated and don't know what to do, I'm dealing with this for a month now and i regret buying it (games with stutters so far are rdr2, factorio, csgo, mk11, pcsx2, etc)

PS : I've installed the nvme myself to my lenovo legion 5 laptop (2060 and i7 10th gen) and you can see my ssd graph during stuttering in game 

• 2 weeks later...

My Nvme SSD is causing me stutters and driving me insane

i recently bought crucial P2, 2tb nvme... I ran crystal disk benchmark and got around 2gbs read and write speeds as advertised , and crystal disk info said my nvme's health is good, but after installing games on it I've noticed my games stutter now, like really annoying lags and hitching time to time (not in some games) well i know it's a QLC drive and dramless but everyone said it doesn't matter for gaming i never thought it could be this bad, my freaking 5200 rpm hdd didn't stutter at all, I've never experienced storage related stutters, well I've updated my bios and my ssd firmware using crucial utility , but stuttering still remains, even emulating ps2 games stutters every 5 seconds , like it's just embarrassing, I'm really devastated and don't know what to do, I'm dealing with this for a month now and i regret buying it (games with stutters so far are rdr2, factorio, csgo, mk11, pcsx2, Marvel's spiderman remastered,etc)
PS : I've installed the nvme myself to my lenovo legion 5 laptop (2060 and i5 10th gen)
Also somethings that I'm just throwing out there cause idk if it's relevant or not
I split my 1.8 TB drive into 1TB and 838 GB drives
I'm running windows 10 latest version on my other boot ssd 
All my games run flawlessly on my  boot ssd which is only 256 gb WD drive, my ssd temps are around 45 while gaming i get nvme spikes in task manager graph, but none of them are full 100% spikes, drive is around 25 percent active during rdr2 and still get stutters for example 

Another funny thing i noticed that stutters will be Farley gone when i move my ps2  iso files from sub folders, to a higher parent folder (for example from D:games/emulators/ps2/ROMS to D:new folder)

Am i just screwed? I've done everything at this point other than reinstalling windows

IMPORTANT EDIT: The crucial p2 is a dramless design, meaning it has worse random performance compared to an ssd that does have dram cache. the ssd is the problem, if it bothers you, return it.

Run Crystaldiskmark and post the screenshot. try running trim, which can be done with windows disk defragmenter, and see if it helps. If it still has issues, return it and get a WD Black nvme drive, which is what I have, it's flawless so after being on 24/7 most of its life with 32TB of writes on the drives lifetime. mine is the older sn750 design with 500
GB of space, but I never heard bad things about the newer drives.I didn't buy it for speed, I bought it for longevity and because a SATA drive was the same price because I bought mine right after the SN850 came out and the old inventory was being cleared, I got a good deal on mine. Wd blue nvme drives are cheaper than the black and the same price as the sata equivelant, but i do not have any personal experience with them and may be QLC. QLC flash shouldn't affect performance unless you are doing massive write operations (upwards of 50gb)

40 minutes ago, SiliconMagician said:

Run Crystaldiskmark and post the screenshot. try running trim, which can be done with windows disk defragmenter, and see if it helps. If it still has issues, return it and get a WD Black nvme drive, which is what I have, it's flawless so after being on 24/7 most of its life with 32TB of writes on the drives lifetime. mine is the older sn750 design with 500
GB of space, but I never heard bad things about the newer drives.I didn't buy it for speed, I bought it for longevity and because a SATA drive was the same price because I bought mine right after the SN850 came out and the old inventory was being cleared, I got a good deal on mine. Wd blue nvme drives are cheaper than the black and the same price as the sata equivelant, but i do not have any personal experience with them and may be QLC. QLC flash shouldn't affect performance unless you are doing massive write operations (upwards of 50gb)

Well it's been a month, I can't return it, i can RMA it i guess, i don't think benchmark will show anything, i ran trim btw no change, it's driving me insane i just blew 180 usd, i can't waste more money for storage 

Screenshot (162).png

8 minutes ago, Sozi Salad said:

Well it's been a month, I can't return it, i can RMA it i guess, i don't think benchmark will show anything, i ran trim btw no change, it's driving me insane i just blew 180 usd, i can't waste more money for storage 

Screenshot (162).png

i find it hard to believe that this ssd causes stutters whereas a low rpm hdd doesnt, as the drive seems to have decent random performance despite being dramless. try using task manager to monitor disk usage during gaming. my wd black ssd is slower than this drive in random performance despite it being dramless so im starting to think theres another issue here. i personally have used numerous kingston a400 dramless sata ssds and they arent as blazing fast as a samsung 1tb sata drive but it isnt very far off at all in the real world and beats any hard drive on the market by far, dramless ssd's when well designed can last a long time and provide decent performance. the fact that moving it to a different location improves things doesnt make any sense. 

1 hour ago, SiliconMagician said:

i find it hard to believe that this ssd causes stutters whereas a low rpm hdd doesnt, as the drive seems to have decent random performance despite being dramless. try using task manager to monitor disk usage during gaming. my wd black ssd is slower than this drive in random performance despite it being dramless so im starting to think theres another issue here. i personally have used numerous kingston a400 dramless sata ssds and they arent as blazing fast as a samsung 1tb sata drive but it isnt very far off at all in the real world and beats any hard drive on the market by far, dramless ssd's when well designed can last a long time and provide decent performance. the fact that moving it to a different location improves things doesnt make any sense. 

Well this is my task manager during gameplay, each spike happens exactly when i see stutters in games (this is the worst case scenario) in other games my drive is spikey like this and is around 25% when i play red dead redemption 2 by example and when stutters happen i can see a spike on the ssd, what else can be the problem? I mean when i moved red dead redemption 2 and all my games to my main ssd which is a WD balck 256 gb (unfortunately) the games (all of them) run flawlessly without any problems, is it just because of it being DRAMless? i don't know what to do anymore

Sorry for picture quality tho 

*** Threads merged ***

We don't allow posting same topic more than once (spamming/pointless).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 7:29 PM, Sozi Salad said:

To anyone who is reading this in the future from Google, I've finally found the solution after a month ! This problem was really obscure and i couldn't find any solution anywhere!
So first you need to unistall micron driver from storage controller in device manager
So at this point if you have balanced power plan enabled the stuttering should be lessened considerably, if you switch to high performance (my preferred power plan) the stuttering will return, so now you should open registry and go here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\d639518a-e56d-4345-8af2-b9f32fb26109

All of the sub-folders here have an Attributes REG-DWORD in them (blue icon) , you need to change the values of all of them to 2 (most of them are 1) now you should go to your power plan settings and and your specific power plan andvanced settings, then you can see some hidden options have been appeared, so you need to go to "Primary Transition Latency Tolerance" and change the value from 0 to 15 (plugged in)
That's it! The stuttering is gone by only changing the value from 0 to 15! And btw you can mess around with other settings if you still get stutters with crucial p2. I did stupid amount of works for solving this issue, and yet the solution was this simple, i guess it made me more knowledgeable and wasn't a complete waste of time....

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2022 at 5:12 PM, Sozi Salad said:

So at this point if you have balanced power plan enabled the stuttering should be lessened considerably, if you switch to high performance (my preferred power plan) the stuttering will return, so now you should open registry and go here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\

image.png.f8ab00b3964ff3d9ddba3fdb70d4f766.png
Are you sure that the key you mention is the same? 
since d639518a-e56d-4345-8af2-b9f32fb26109 belongs to the Primary NVMe Idle Timeout option.

• 11 months later...
On 10/24/2022 at 7:45 PM, xbacox2010 said:

image.png.f8ab00b3964ff3d9ddba3fdb70d4f766.png
Are you sure that the key you mention is the same? 
since d639518a-e56d-4345-8af2-b9f32fb26109 belongs to the Primary NVMe Idle Timeout option.

May I ask, how to get to this screen? 
I've tried all the previous steps but the option "Primary Transition Latency Tolerance", even though I can see it on some of the registry files, is not shown on the power options. I'm working on Windows 11 and I'm having stutters on games as well on my nvme. The most peculiar thing is that these stutters, have begun in the last 1-2 weeks and i've bought my NVME on February...

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2022 at 6:12 AM, Sozi Salad said:

All of the sub-folders here have an Attributes REG-DWORD in them (blue icon) , you need to change the values of all of them to 2 (most of them are 1) now you should go to your power plan settings and and your specific power plan advanced settings, then you can see some hidden options have been appeared, so you need to go to "Primary Transition Latency Tolerance" and change the value from 0 to 15 (plugged in)

Just wanted to say a huge thanks for this.
Ive spend the past 2 years trying to work out why i was getting stuttering every 20-40 seconds in some games and not others on this same crucial p2 2tb drive but whenever i transfered games that had stuttering issues over to my Boot/C drive which is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb the stutters would go away i did multiple windows reinstalls bios flashes/configuring m.2 slots differently removing devices and other hdd/ssd even tried removing 2 of my 4 8gb sticks of ddr4 3200mhz cl16 memory played around with nvidia gpu settings thinking it was my gpu or something for awhile. im running a 10700kf 32gb memory and a rtx3080 i was previously running a 3070 as well which was also giving me stuttering i also tried playing around with different resolutions thinking maby the games that had stuttering where cpu intensive and maby the 10700k was the issue even though a friend with a almost identical build to mine only diff being he had a 4tb hdd instead of a 2tb crucial p2 was having issues

I literally gave up  yesterday and just purchased a r7 7800x3d + b650 tomahawk mb and ddr5 6000mhz cl30 along with all new samsung 990 pro m.2 two 1tb 1 for boot drive the other for video editing and a 2tb for games all this cause i was sick of the stutters and couldn't work out what it was all along it was just some simple power settings that crucial should have fixed this them selves then i come along and see this post not even 24 hours after i ordered new gear oh well upgrade never hurt i guess 🙂 but thanks again i wish i came across this 2 years ago i didnt expect a nvme drive to be outperformed by a hdd so im very dissapointed i dont think ill even buy a crucial product again after this terrible experience

its so nice to be able to play a game and not stutter for once :)