Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

450 or 550 Watts?

FunkyFresh

Hello. I'm finally building new PC and i don't really know which PSU would be better.

Cpu - ryzen 5 5500

Gpu - rx 6600

1ssd and some fans.

The system should pull around ~200 watts while gaming if i'm right? I'm more worried about efficiency while watching movies, browsing internet. How many watts would the system pull then? And which PSU would be more efficient then. (If i'm pulling less than 10% of so said 450/550 watts, i'm wasting money. Because PSU are less efficient then.) 😄  Or would there be completely no difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciate. (Both PSU's are from tier A.)

Under full load it can pull 300. No brainer to get the 550 and you'll also have headroom for upgrades.

Better get a decent 450w than a bad 550w.

What's the brand and model of both PSUs?

Be Quiet Straight Power 11, 450W

OR

Corsair RM550X

I did bit of calculations and while browsing net, watching movies i should use ~80-100 Watts. I don't really know how efficient 450/550 would be then.. (How big "%" difference?)

Both PSU cost the same.

I was watching reviews and while gaming that GPU draws around ~135W. CPU around ~70W

I won't be "upgrading" this system. That's why i want to get the most efficient PSU possible. Because electricity is getting more expensive also.

Get the one with the longer warranty

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 hour ago, FunkyFresh said:

(If i'm pulling less than 10% of so said 450/550 watts, i'm wasting money. Because PSU are less efficient then.)

By a couple percent, maybe. (Assuming both power supplies have the same 80 Plus rating.)

It's not a big enough difference to lose sleep over. 

Dell owns my soul.

Doh if i don't "upgrade" in 5-8 years, it may be bit of pocket change? (Again i don't know how much i would save..)

The marginal efficiency differences you're worried about really won't amount to much at all.

To me 450W is "iGPU only" territory. 550W would at least give a modicum of headroom for future upgrades. 

Your "PC master race" thing is cringe. 

3 hours ago, FunkyFresh said:

Be Quiet Straight Power 11, 450W

OR

Corsair RM550X

I did bit of calculations and while browsing net, watching movies i should use ~80-100 Watts. I don't really know how efficient 450/550 would be then.. (How big "%" difference?)

Both PSU cost the same.

I was watching reviews and while gaming that GPU draws around ~135W. CPU around ~70W

I won't be "upgrading" this system. That's why i want to get the most efficient PSU possible. Because electricity is getting more expensive also.

In this example, rm550x is a no brainier but if you try hard enough, you might be able to find a better psu at a similar price

Both BeQuiet! and Corsair make excellent PSUs.

I know you've measured and say that you're seeing ~80 to ~100 watts, but that's not the best way to look at it.

Each component has a TDP rating. Your CPU's TDP is an estimation of how much power it will draw "under load" and the same is true for your GPU. While browsing the web or idling, the wattage will be very low, but even simple tasks like installing Windows updates can put the CPU at 100%, even if only for a few seconds, and a few seconds is all it takes. If your system can peek at over 450w, than you want to give it that headroom because if it ever demands that much power from the PSU and the PSU fails to deliver it, you can run into trouble.

When estimating how much wattage you need, base that calculation on the maximum wattage your system could draw - even if you don't plan to run it that way all the time.

With the 80+ Gold rating on most reputable PSUs, it's definitely better to have and not need than to need and not have in terms of wattage.

Best practice is to never future proof, and sell/donate the PSU bundled with the GPU, and buy a new one with your new GPU (But it requires dabbling with selling).

For the alternative of just letting things die, future proofing is good.

The thing is a ~year ago i built my father a PC which used Ryzen 5 3600x and RX 5700XT GPU and for that build i used 550W tier A PSU. That system pulls max ~450 Watts. Normally closer/under 400.. (While gaming.)

That's why i think that 550W would be and overkill for this system. As ryzen 5 5500 and RX 6600 are more efficient. But i may be wrong..

If all system consumes max ~300W, isn't the 450W psu right on the mark? It's the rule of "thumb" of adding 150W of total system draw.

Cpu ~70w

Gpu ~135w

Mobo ~50w

Sdd/fans ~15w

Or am i missing something? But if everybody is saying 550W, i will got that road. Thanks.

37 minutes ago, FunkyFresh said:

If all system consumes max ~300W, isn't the 450W psu right on the mark?

Ignore the efficiency difference. The difference in efficiency is negligible, and anyone that says mUh EfFiCiEnCy CuRvE, or that PsUs ArE mOsT eFfIcIeNt At 50% is absolutely clueless.

38 minutes ago, FunkyFresh said:

It's the rule of "thumb" of adding 150W of total system draw.

No, it's not. You're never going to load the GPU 100%, CPU 100% and start spinning up all of your HDDs at the exact same time. And how some PSUs handle transient loads better than others is going to affect what wattage is needed anyway for a specific PSU model. And there may be other requirements that would lead someone to choose a different PSU, like the noise level of different PSUs (some higher wattage PSUs are quieter than some lower wattage PSUs, but the opposite may be the case)

:)

Thanks everybody. I will go with 550w at the end. Even doh system will use only max ~350watts ever.

I simply where worried about the idle power consumption. If there is almost no difference in efficiency. Then yeah i get that bigger PSU (550w) are better. As it offers more headroom, will work quieter and less heat.

19 minutes ago, FunkyFresh said:

I will go with 550w at the end.

Good choice.

Try to switch the Ryzen 5500 to 5600. It's a much better CPU. A bit higher clockspeed, PCI-e4.0 and the most important thing: double L3 cache.

25 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Good choice.

Try to switch the Ryzen 5500 to 5600. It's a much better CPU. A bit higher clockspeed, PCI-e4.0 and the most important thing: double L3 cache.

Simple 1080p gaming pc.. 5500 seems better than 3600x. 5500 cost 137$  5600 cost ~200$. I think 5500 is better deal.

Ps i'm using  athlon or what heck it's named 4 core amd processor from ~10 years ago.. I think 5500 is a good enough upgrade. 😄