Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HELP! my pc has got 2 amd saphire hd 7990 cards in it and i was wondering if it is capable of running steam vr on an oculus quest 2

my specs are 

2x amd saphire hd 7990 gpus 

128gb of ram

intel i7 extreme 

The 7990 was a dual-GPU card with, IIRC, two of the 7970's chip on a single PCB. So if you actually have two of them, you essentially have four 7970's in this system. Your specs look like someone had way more money than sense about a decade ago. 

Unfortunately, since Crossfire is deader than disco, in terms of actual performance in modern games you functionally just have one (downclocked) 7970 in you system, and the other three chips are doing fuck all. And even the normal 7970 performs basically like a 1050 ti (to find a "current" GPU to compare it to) which would certainly not be my weapon of choice for VR. All that RAM is going to be about as useful as tits on a bull, and you didn't specify what "i7 extreme" you have but if it's of a similar vintage as your GPU's then a modern i3 will run rings around it. 

My recommendation would be get what you can out of selling the parts of this relic e-peen build (7990's have sold recently for about $150 on eBay to people who just collect old GPU's) and start building a sensible mid-range modern system. 

Your "PC master race" thing is cringe. 

51 minutes ago, Middcore said:

The 7990 was a dual-GPU card with, IIRC, two of the 7970's chip on a single PCB. So if you actually have two of them, you essentially have four 7970's in this system. Your specs look like someone had way more money than sense about a decade ago. 

Unfortunately, since Crossfire is deader than disco, in terms of actual performance in modern games you functionally just have one (downclocked) 7970 in you system, and the other three chips are doing fuck all. And even the normal 7970 performs basically like a 1050 ti (to find a "current" GPU to compare it to) which would certainly not be my weapon of choice for VR. All that RAM is going to be about as useful as tits on a bull, and you didn't specify what "i7 extreme" you have but if it's of a similar vintage as your GPU's then a modern i3 will run rings around it. 

My recommendation would be get what you can out of selling the parts of this relic e-peen build (7990's have sold recently for about $150 on eBay to people who just collect old GPU's) and start building a sensible mid-range modern system. 

i dont think your correct becuase ive asked other people and they said it will work fine as the oculus quest 2 has a built in gpu with intergrated graphics and also the equivilent to the amd hd 7990 is the gtx 680 wich works fine with vr 

8 minutes ago, pc_gamer189074 said:

i dont think your correct becuase ive asked other people and they said it will work fine as the oculus quest 2 has a built in gpu with intergrated graphics and also the equivilent to the amd hd 7990 is the gtx 680 wich works fine with vr 

I don't think you understand the difference between using the Quest 2 to play games from the Quest Store and using the Quest 2 as a headset to play games in Steam VR.

Here is the list of supported GPU's for using the Quest 2 connected to a PC: https://store.facebook.com/help/quest/articles/headsets-and-accessories/oculus-link/oculus-link-compatibility/ You will note on the AMD side there's only compatibility back as far as the RX 400 series. 

Even if your cards were technically compatible, they are way less powerful than even the least powerful cards on that list. 

so your saying its not gonna work with steam vr 

9 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I don't think you understand the difference between using the Quest 2 to play games from the Quest Store and using the Quest 2 as a headset to play games in Steam VR.

Here is the list of supported GPU's for using the Quest 2 connected to a PC: https://store.facebook.com/help/quest/articles/headsets-and-accessories/oculus-link/oculus-link-compatibility/ You will note on the AMD side there's only compatibility back as far as the RX 400 series. 

Even if your cards were technically compatible, they are way less powerful than even the least powerful cards on that list. 

so your saying its not gonna work with steam vr or it will but just be abit laggy 

Just now, pc_gamer189074 said:

so your saying its not gonna work with steam vr or it will but just be abit laggy 

It will probably not work at all, and if it does "work" the performance will be atrocious.

10 minutes ago, Middcore said:

It will probably not work at all, and if it does "work" the performance will be atrocious.

just contacted oculus and they said anyting up to the 9000 series amd will work with steam vr so i dont think you know what your talking about

3 minutes ago, pc_gamer189074 said:

just contacted oculus and they said anyting up to the 9000 series amd will work with steam vr so i dont think you know what your talking about

There isn't any such thing as the "9000 series AMD" so forgive me if I'm skeptical.

I already showed you what Meta says. Here's what Valve says:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/250820/SteamVR/

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-4590/AMD FX 8350 equivalent or better
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, AMD Radeon R9 290 equivalent or better
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Additional Notes: 1x USB 2.0 or newer, HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer

9 minutes ago, Middcore said:

There isn't any such thing as the "9000 series AMD" so forgive me if I'm skeptical.

I already showed you what Meta says. Here's what Valve says:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/250820/SteamVR/

ive asked loads of other people and they said it will be fine including my dad who built the bloody thing has tested it on steam vr and he said it worked really well 

1 minute ago, pc_gamer189074 said:

ive asked loads of other people and they said it will be fine including my dad who built the bloody thing has tested it on steam vr and he said it worked really well 

Well then why are you wasting my time and yours posting here when you have the wisdom of your dad (who is clearly an expert at spending money if nothing else) and the "loads of other people" to rely on?

God, this build though. I can just picture your pops walking into the computer store and telling them he wanted a "future-proof" computer that would "last him ten years" and all the salesmen giving each other high-fives when they sent him home with the parts for this monstrosity. 

Have fun with your Quest 2, or not, I won't know either way because I'm putting you on my ignore list now. 

7 hours ago, pc_gamer189074 said:

Of course your dad said it will work well, he don't want to spend money on a new GPU. 

You can use 7990 for VR but performance will be atrocious. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 hours ago, Middcore said:

Well then why are you wasting my time and yours posting here when you have the wisdom of your dad (who is clearly an expert at spending money if nothing else) and the "loads of other people" to rely on?

God, this build though. I can just picture your pops walking into the computer store and telling them he wanted a "future-proof" computer that would "last him ten years" and all the salesmen giving each other high-fives when they sent him home with the parts for this monstrosity. 

Have fun with your Quest 2, or not, I won't know either way because I'm putting you on my ignore list now. 

It's another classic case of seeking confirmation, not advice. Though I'm jealous. I'd love an x79 system.

well that wasnt helpful i dont want to play pcvr on the oculus i want to play steam vr 

right so i made a mistake turns out ive got 2 amd hd saphire 7990 cards but there overclocked to the max which means double fps and speed ive got an i7 or i9 extreme 64gb of ram so would that now be ok to run steam vr on

You got a single HD7990, it shows up as 2 graphics cards as HD7990 is a dual GPU card. As far as steam VR goes, that is a GCN1.0 card and is 10 years old at this point. Crossfire may not be supported by steam vr games so I doubt you will have a great experience with that graphics card.

I am also extremely doubtful that you got an i9.

mY s YsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??
 HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it?
 MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Crossfire (and SLI) are not supported by most steam VR games. Additionally, your gpus, while high end 10 years ago, aren’t sufficient to run most modern titles in terms of raw power.

Best bet would be to invest in a new card.

@pc_gamer189074 I have merged your 2 threads together. Please keep the same topic to a single thread. 

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Simply put you have 1 hd 7970 in your system for as far as vr games care. Those other 3 cards are dead weight.

A hd 7970 will do games like beatsaber pretty well but anything more advanced is a flat out no as performance will be low enough to cause motion sickness.

Id also just sell that second hd7990 whilst they still have a tiny bit of value. Even when sli and crossfire was used adding a 3rd or more card except for benchmarks did nothing.

On 8/5/2022 at 10:39 PM, pc_gamer189074 said:

🤡

Nope

1) Crossfire is pretty much dead

2) SteamVR cant run on those GCN 1 GPUs

if you want a gpu vr i'd recommend waiting for RTX 4000/RX 7000 and getting a 2080 if you can