Parts suggestions for "Quiet" rackmount home server

Just as a small hint on the component selection based on my recent homelab experience:

• Always use mainboards with some sort of IPMI. The worst thing is when stuff doesn't work or boot and you have to fiddle around with connecting a keyboard, mouse and a monitor. I buy SuperMicro boards, AsRock Rack has some nice ones as well.
  • Estimate the amount of RAM you might need, then double it. Hint: For some reason RDIMMS are cheaper denn UDIMMS (ECC) on the secondary market, if you go that route.
  • CPU performance usually doesn't matter really for the stuff we do at home.
  • If you want media files hosting (Plex, Jelliyfin), make sure either your CPU has QuickSync or have space for a low-end gpu for transcoding.

When it comes to your actual question: Enterprise gear or "real" server usually are loud and the ones affordable usually are old (thus power hungry). If you insist on having all your listed requirements met, then you'd need to go self-built with a 4U short depths rack case (SilverStone has some). Only problem that you will face is your budget.

3 hours ago, memoryleak said:

Just as a small hint on the component selection based on my recent homelab experience:

• Always use mainboards with some sort of IPMI. The worst thing is when stuff doesn't work or boot and you have to fiddle around with connecting a keyboard, mouse and a monitor. I buy SuperMicro boards, AsRock Rack has some nice ones as well.
  • Estimate the amount of RAM you might need, then double it. Hint: For some reason RDIMMS are cheaper denn UDIMMS (ECC) on the secondary market, if you go that route.
  • CPU performance usually doesn't matter really for the stuff we do at home.
  • If you want media files hosting (Plex, Jelliyfin), make sure either your CPU has QuickSync or have space for a low-end gpu for transcoding.

When it comes to your actual question: Enterprise gear or "real" server usually are loud and the ones affordable usually are old (thus power hungry). If you insist on having all your listed requirements met, then you'd need to go self-built with a 4U short depths rack case (SilverStone has some). Only problem that you will face is your budget.

Thanks, I am adjusting my budget and requirements based on the feedback here.
Just didn't want to repost a list over and over

Would you have any suggestions on the motherboard?