Good for HTPC?

DJRWolf

Its okay, the only downside is if you wanted to add an external gpu, you can't.

Looks good.  You aren't going to get above 4k/60 for media playback for a while--so I see no problem with that as the upper limit.

On 8/1/2022 at 8:45 PM, ET_Explorer said:

Not looking to do gaming on it; only planning on watching videos. Plus if I were to do that I can just do LAN steaming from Steam on my main desktop. Then the mini-PC connected to the TV only has to output the stream and relay input. I had my place wired for CAT6 so I can upgrade to multi-gig down the road once I see a good switch but even with 1 Gb it is still hardwired Ethernet.

12 hours ago, IPD said:

Looks good.  You aren't going to get above 4k/60 for media playback for a while--so I see no problem with that as the upper limit.

Most media files I have are 1080P but not sure how relevant that is when the desktop is 4k so it is still sending a 4k image to the screen at 60hz. Would effect the work done to decode the video files though.

On 8/2/2022 at 3:45 AM, ET_Explorer said:

My HTPC is struggling a little with 4k content on youtube (occasional stuttering,... Didn't notice that on other 4k Content)... It's definitely not the connection, might be some settings of the driver or even of the browser... I read a lot but didn't find a solution. Maybe I can just overpower the problem with a dedicated GPU

Are there any cheap dedicated GPUs that will significantly improve the playback? No gaming required whatsoever 

I'm currently running on a 
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G on a Gigabyte B450M S2H 

9 hours ago, Nathas said:

My HTPC is struggling a little with 4k content on youtube (occasional stuttering,... Didn't notice that on other 4k Content)... It's definitely not the connection, might be some settings of the driver or even of the browser... I read a lot but didn't find a solution. Maybe I can just overpower the problem with a dedicated GPU

Are there any cheap dedicated GPUs that will significantly improve the playback? No gaming required whatsoever 

I'm currently running on a 
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G on a Gigabyte B450M S2H 

Are you running Windows? Windows Task Manager on the newest versions of Windows 10 has GPU as one thing that it has for the Performance tab. That can tell you how hard YouTube is using the GPU and that could help understand where the performance problem is at.