Is there a reason to keep a PS4 Pro when I get a PS5?

milesuy
Go to solution Solved by SteveGrabowski0,
48 minutes ago, milesuy said:

I tested all my games on my friend's PS5 and all of them worked. Am I safe or would I get issues on the future?

How's your experience with Sony's backwards compatibility? Did they messed something up that broke the backwards compatibility in the past (in the PS1 up to present)?

It's a tiny list of PS4 games that don't run correctly on PS5. Like less than 10 games if I remember right. PS5 essentially plays PS4 games in hardware since the architectures of the two systems are wildly similar. A lot of the big PS4 releases also have free PS5 patches that allow them to run way better. For instance, Ghost of Tsushima has a free PS5 patch that runs the game 60 fps at 1800p. Last of Us Part II runs I want to say 1440p60fps on PS5. Final Fantasy VII Remake improves from 30 fps to 60 fps on PS5. Dragon Quest XI S runs a locked 60 fps on PS5. I think Ratchet & Clank runs 60 fps on PS5 vs 30 fps on PS4. I immediately sold my PS4 Slim once I got my PS5 in hand since it could do everything my PS4 Slim could do but way better. Same for the Pro. I can't think of any reason you'd play a game on your PS4 any more when you have a PS5 unless you decided to put the PS4 in another room or maybe just took it offline and waited for custom firmware so you could hack it?

I am planning to get a PS5, and I was wondering if I should keep my PS4 Pro, since PS4 games are compatible with the PS5.

I'm still going to play my PS4 games when I get a PS5. I tested my games on my friend's PS5 and none of them had issues in the PS5.

How often do you have company who might want a console in a separate room? Do you want to reuse it as a dvd/media player for a secondary tv? Are you turn between gaming in your gaming room vs on your living room couch?

These are the reasons I've been using a living room PC thus far

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I think maybe keep it because you never know what Sony's idea of backwards compatibility means. Are you able to play all the games or just some? Also, I've been in this situation before. When I upgraded from my 360 to Xbox one, I couldn't give up by 360 because it's a totally different machine. Even though the one was backwards, that didn't mean it made my 360 completely useless to me. Plus, what happens if the one breaks down and you want to play some 360 games? If you got rid of it, oops. Same with my ps1, 2, 3, and 4. I know there's minimum compatibility there, but those older ones are awesome to still have around. Even if some of them are just a show off piece.

Could you put 300$ to good use right now? If so, flip it. If not, keep it around. Or even lend it out to a friend who is a bit less fortunate. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

32 minutes ago, Meowth LVL255 said:

I think maybe keep it because you never know what Sony's idea of backwards compatibility means. Are you able to play all the games or just some? Also, I've been in this situation before. When I upgraded from my 360 to Xbox one, I couldn't give up by 360 because it's a totally different machine. Even though the one was backwards, that didn't mean it made my 360 completely useless to me. Plus, what happens if the one breaks down and you want to play some 360 games? If you got rid of it, oops. Same with my ps1, 2, 3, and 4. I know there's minimum compatibility there, but those older ones are awesome to still have around. Even if some of them are just a show off piece.

I tested all my games on my friend's PS5 and all of them worked. Am I safe or would I get issues on the future?

How's your experience with Sony's backwards compatibility? Did they messed something up that broke the backwards compatibility in the past (in the PS1 up to present)?

23 minutes ago, milesuy said:

Ps2 played ps1 games just fine and even used each other's controllers universally. Ps3 was advertised to have backwards compatibility, but when I got mine, I couldn't. It will not read ANY other games but ps3 games. The ps4 will not read any other games and I bring up an old quote from them "backwards compatibility is backwards thinking." Sony makes you pay huge amounts of money on a service each month that allows you to play old games digitally though. So from the ps4 to the ps5, they might have stopped pulling their shit, but I might be putting too much faith in it. I don't own a ps5 and probably won't for a while, but I'm skeptical because of what they did to ps3 and how they lied. There was a 20gb model ps3 that allowed backwards compatibility, but no one I knew had one and I've never been in the same room as one, so a lot of good that did.

53 minutes ago, Meowth LVL255 said:

XBox One wasn't really backwards compatible with 360 though, just a lot of 360 titles got XBox One compatibility patches. PS5 is backwards compatible with all but a few small titles in the PS4 library, more in line with PS2 being able to play nearly everything on PS1 rather than XBox One being able to play some of the XBox 360 library.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

XBox One wasn't really backwards compatible with 360 though, just a lot of 360 titles got XBox One compatibility patches. PS5 is backwards compatible with all but a few small titles in the PS4 library, more in line with PS2 being able to play nearly everything on PS1 rather than XBox One being able to play some of the XBox 360 library.

I was able to play all the games I wanted to play. I was never told no. Maybe I didn't have the games that weren't accepted, but that was okay. If I ever ran into that problem. I still had my 360. As for the PS lineup, from 1 to 2, everything was fine. From 2 to 4, no compatibility at all. The biggest difference being space though. I have 3 Xbox consoles, I have 4 PlayStations, about to be 5.

11 minutes ago, Meowth LVL255 said:

Ps2 played ps1 games just fine and even used each other's controllers universally. Ps3 was advertised to have backwards compatibility, but when I got mine, I couldn't. It will not read ANY other games but ps3 games. The ps4 will not read any other games and I bring up an old quote from them "backwards compatibility is backwards thinking." Sony makes you pay huge amounts of money on a service each month that allows you to play old games digitally though. So from the ps4 to the ps5, they might have stopped pulling their shit, but I might be putting too much faith in it. I don't own a ps5 and probably won't for a while, but I'm skeptical because of what they did to ps3 and how they lied. There was a 20gb model ps3 that allowed backwards compatibility, but no one I knew had one and I've never been in the same room as one, so a lot of good that did.

In the US the only PS3 models that played PS2 natively were the launch CECHA and CECHB models, and then I think there was a CECHE model that did emulation of the cpu but still had the gpu hardware in it. But PS3 was selling like crap so they scrapped all the PS2 hardware in it after the CECHE model to cut costs and slash the MSRP of the system and thus stopped supporting PS2 games entirely except on those early models.

There is no reason Sony would ever remove PS4 BC from the PS5 because it wouldn't save them a cent of manufacturing cost, since both PS4 and PS5 use similar architecture cpu/gpu, so that PS5 essentially plays PS4 in hardware just like the original Fat PS2s did PS1 games.

10 minutes ago, Meowth LVL255 said:

I was able to play all the games I wanted to play. I was never told no. Maybe I didn't have the games that weren't accepted, but that was okay. If I ever ran into that problem. I still had my 360. As for the PS lineup, from 1 to 2, everything was fine. From 2 to 4, no compatibility at all. The biggest difference being space though. I have 3 Xbox consoles, I have 4 PlayStations, about to be 5.

There were a lot of 360 games you couldn't play on XBox One, but more the hidden gem kind of stuff while XBox made a huge effort to port the better selling games to XBox One. For instance, the original Nier released on 360 wasn't playable on XBox One until late last year.

7 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

There were a lot of 360 games you couldn't play on XBox One, but more the hidden gem kind of stuff while XBox made a huge effort to port the better selling games to XBox One. For instance, the original Nier released on 360 wasn't playable on XBox One until late last year.

Yeah. It's just because I never ran into those games that weren't playable. This is probably why emulation was born, but I don't away from that because nobody seems to know if it's illegal or not.

48 minutes ago, milesuy said:

It's a tiny list of PS4 games that don't run correctly on PS5. Like less than 10 games if I remember right. PS5 essentially plays PS4 games in hardware since the architectures of the two systems are wildly similar. A lot of the big PS4 releases also have free PS5 patches that allow them to run way better. For instance, Ghost of Tsushima has a free PS5 patch that runs the game 60 fps at 1800p. Last of Us Part II runs I want to say 1440p60fps on PS5. Final Fantasy VII Remake improves from 30 fps to 60 fps on PS5. Dragon Quest XI S runs a locked 60 fps on PS5. I think Ratchet & Clank runs 60 fps on PS5 vs 30 fps on PS4. I immediately sold my PS4 Slim once I got my PS5 in hand since it could do everything my PS4 Slim could do but way better. Same for the Pro. I can't think of any reason you'd play a game on your PS4 any more when you have a PS5 unless you decided to put the PS4 in another room or maybe just took it offline and waited for custom firmware so you could hack it?