Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommend backpack for student in the uk under 70ishGBP. Consdering Wenger (Swiss Gear) Pegasus 17/carbon

The Torrent

I need a backpack for daily use with my laptop, books, etc.

I have a Thule Gauntlet 16inch which i put my laptop in - i would need to fit that in the backpack.

I'm currently looking at the Wenger Pegasus, either 15inch or 17inch. I think the 15 would be too small so im prolly going towards the 17. I also see the Wenger Carbon. It looks like just a black version of the pegasus? Not sure if there is any other differences...

However, i have seen some people say wenger is amazing and last forever, and some people say its trash and the break easy so im not sure if its it or not.

What do you guys think? And if you dont like wenger what do you recommend instead? The pegasus 17 is 70 quid on amazon uk, so ideally i want cheaper than 70gbp but 70 is prolly the limit.

Thanks

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

Wenger Pegasus

I cant speak for that bag. But I have a Swiss Gear bag thats probably 10 or so years old. It still holds up well. I dont use it a lot anymore but I have carried books and a laptop when I was going to school. Put a decent amount of weight in it. Worked well as a bag when I went to Las Vegas. 

So Id be inclined to buy the Swiss Gear.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

40 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I cant speak for that bag. But I have a Swiss Gear bag thats probably 10 or so years old. It still holds up well. I dont use it a lot anymore but I have carried books and a laptop when I was going to school. Put a decent amount of weight in it. Worked well as a bag when I went to Las Vegas. 

So Id be inclined to buy the Swiss Gear.

i keep hearing very good about the older stuff but apparently they have decreased in quality in the last few years... i think im quite likely to buy a swiss gear bag tho anyway, thanks.

Checkout Thule. Great quality as you might know already. I have a Crossover laptop backpack that's around 9yo, and was daily driven most of the time and still looks good (except zippers metal is not as shiny as it was).

They have several models in the £60-80 range, however, I'm not sure about 17" or the extra sleeve, something like Indago can fit 16" MacBook.

On 7/30/2022 at 11:38 PM, rikitikitavi said:

Checkout Thule. Great quality as you might know already. I have a Crossover laptop backpack that's around 9yo, and was daily driven most of the time and still looks good (except zippers metal is not as shiny as it was).

They have several models in the £60-80 range, however, I'm not sure about 17" or the extra sleeve, something like Indago can fit 16" MacBook.

the crossover 2 looks really nice but its a bit on the expensive side (160gbp) and i think it only fits 15.6inch laptop max, so my 16inch+thule gauntlet so basically 17inch laptop is unlikely to fit i reckon unfortunately.....

I looked around some more, the Thule Lithos also looks nice but again 15.6 max.... cant rly find any that would be suitable i dont think 😕

On 7/30/2022 at 11:38 PM, rikitikitavi said:

Do you think a 17inch laptop would fit in your crossover even though it's only rated for 15.6?

17 hours ago, The Torrent said:

Do you think a 17inch laptop would fit in your crossover even though it's only rated for 15.6?

Here's what I know: my old Crossover was made for 15" Unibody MBP and had tiny wiggle room, my 15" TouchBar is loose in it. New 16" is smaller than older Unibody 15". Afaik, latest Thule backpacks are marketed as 16" compatible.

Here's my assumption: if your 17" is only slightly bigger than 16" MBP, then you might be ok. However, snug fit is bad, so make sure the returns are painless.

Edited