Curious regarding the HDMI 2.1 length and prices.

Jon-Slow
I'm buying a TV with HDMI 2.1 support. Now I'm looking for a long and flat (8-10 meters) hdmi 2.1. So I've found out that it pretty much doesn't exist and the long round hdmi 2.1 cables are pretty rare and so very very expensive.

What is going on exactly? It's been a pretty long time since the release of hdmi 2.1 TV and consoles but long cables are hard and expensive to come by. Will this always be the case? Would I be able to purchase a reasonable long flat 2.1 cable anytime in the future? Are these prices and short lengths here to stay?

Not enough demand for 2.1 yet currenrly its only consoles and pc which is a niche subset of the tv market and these devices are usually right next to the tv. Also doesnt help that the hdmi forum basically said oh yeah 2.1 is also 2.0 btw.

So for now no options gonna be a waiting game

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not enough demand for 2.1 yet currenrly its only consoles and pc which is a niche subset of the tv market and these devices are usually right next to the tv. Also doesnt help that the hdmi forum basically said oh yeah 2.1 is also 2.0 btw.

So for now no options gonna be a waiting game

Then it sounds like this would never change since it's already been 2 years since the release of the new consoles. Very disappointing.

2 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

Then it sounds like this would never change since it's already been 2 years since the release of the new consoles. Very disappointing.

2.0 took a while too. But now the challangr is that to get the bandwith you need higher quality cables so all the super cheap cable makers are basically skipping that. That and most people that do get longer 2.1 cables directly fo for optical ones which is a whole other layer of complexity added

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

2.0 took a while too. But now the challangr is that to get the bandwith you need higher quality cables so all the super cheap cable makers are basically skipping that. That and most people that do get longer 2.1 cables directly fo for optical ones which is a whole other layer of complexity added

I'm wondering if an HDMI extender over ethernet could be the solution instead.

19 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

Basically same thing as a cable but you have to really make sure it will have evry single feature you need since hdmi 2.1 is now just 2.0 with optional options.

44 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

Getting one that does 4k120 is difficult and expensive. Getting one that is also low latency is even harder. Go for an optical hdmi. 

40 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Getting one that does 4k120 is difficult and expensive. Getting one that is also low latency is even harder. Go for an optical hdmi. 

yeah I've noticed that after a bit of googling. There seem to be none that does it actually. All I've found is just labeled 1080p compatible. optical hdmi, I'll have to google.

You'll also be fighting signal degradation, requiring higher-quality cables which maybe not a lot of manufacturers care about. 4k120Hz is a lot to push over a long cable and transporting that is more challenging than transporting 1080p60Hz. You'll be looking at optical cables at that length, but those will be expensive: https://www.whathifi.com/news/qeds-extra-long-hdmi-21-cable-is-available-in-lengths-up-to-20m

Good news is on the horizon though: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdmi-2-1-cables-are-about-to-get-longer-a-lot-longer

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

15 minutes ago, tikker said:

You'll also be fighting signal degradation, requiring higher-quality cables which maybe not a lot of manufacturers care about. 4k120Hz is a lot to push over a long cable and transporting that is more challenging than transporting 1080p60Hz. You'll be looking at optical cables at that length, but those will be expensive: https://www.whathifi.com/news/qeds-extra-long-hdmi-21-cable-is-available-in-lengths-up-to-20m

Good news is on the horizon though: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdmi-2-1-cables-are-about-to-get-longer-a-lot-longer

That's intersting, I wonder how long it would take for it to happen. Looks like that for the time being I have no affordable solution.

Fiber optic hdmi cable is what you need for 10 meters for 40gb bandwith. And they are readily available from a number of places