Use PC/Laptop *AS* remote for Receiver/TV/IR by USB attachment?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has found a USB IR Transmitter (and software) that would allow me to control IR based units like my TV or Receiver etc. from my PC

Basically, I'd love a means to use a program to, for example, mute/unmute a receiver, or raise the volume on a TV etc that is in line of sight of (what I'd expect is) a USB IR device.

I realize there are plenty of Infrared solutions that allow one to control their PC/Laptop with a remote control by way of an IR Receiver, but I want to do the opposite.

Is this possible or available?

Thanks in advance!

Can be done. Has been done. I used to do it back when laptops commonly had built in or ports.  Which software Will depend on what peripherals you buy. Possible?  absolutely.  Still Available? No idea.  My memory is Linux was particularly good at this. There was an iR standard just like wifi and Bluetooth, just a lot slower.  I’ve actually got a device that does this but it’s a good 15 years old or more. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.