Warning: You really shouldn’t smash your phone for a OnePlus One just yet

Ebenesh

Things seem to be going out of hand with the new OnePlus One campaign. People have begun destroying phones believing they will be selected as one of the 100 who will get the OnePlus for a dollar ! Apparently it down't work that way... 

Source: http://bgr.com/2014/04/25/oneplus-one-smash-contest/

oneplus-one-smash-contest.jpg?w=625

OnePlus announced its first Android handset this week, the One, but the phone won’t be available to consumers next month. However, 100 lucky winners of the company’s Smash promotion will have the opportunity to smash their old handset and receive a 16GB One Plus One handset for just $1. The company on Friday announced the official launch of the contest, saying that interested buyers can apply on the company’s special Smash page to be selected. Lucky winners will also receive three invites, which they can give to friends interested in buying the phone.

Unfortunately, some eager OnePlus One fans have already started smashing their handsets well ahead of the promotion’s start, posting videos on YouTube with their destroyed former phones. However, the contest does not work like that, and they’re not entitled to a $1 OnePlus One phone. A post on Reddit lists several videos of people destroying all sorts of handsets, including iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, HTC One (M7) and others to get the phone.

Instead, the company will first select the 100 lucky winners, who will then be required to send a video showing how they smashed their phones in order to win their prizes.

The first 100 One handsets will be sent in the first weeks of May, with invites being released later next month.

Videos showing early phone smashes and the full press release announcing the contest follow below.

“Smash the Past” Launched to Win the First 100 OnePlus Ones

April 25, 2014 – OnePlus today launched “Smash the Past”, a contest to win one of the first 100 OnePlus Ones and the first invites to give away to friends and other OnePlus fans. Applicants may apply at oneplus.net/smash to send OnePlus a video of them smashing their current phone. 100 chosen smashers will win a 16GB OnePlus One for just $1 and three invites to give to friends.

OnePlus One – 2014 Flagship Killer

Founded by CEO Pete Lau in December 2013, OnePlus is a young, ambitious tech startup with a goal of offering the best hardware available using a disruptive business model. Committed to their fans, the OnePlus team pride themselves on being as transparent and accessible as possible, to enhance users’ daily lives with beautiful and well made technology.

Following months of anticipation, the OnePlus One was released to occupy two trending hashtags on Twitter at the same time. Embodying the OnePlus motto of ‘Never Settle’, the OnePlus One boasts industry leading design, superior build quality and top of the line specs at a disruptive price point.

Smash the Past Contest

To enter the contest, simply visit oneplus.net/smash to apply to smash your current flagship phone in exchange for a OnePlus One. 100 lucky applicants will be selected, granting them access to the very first 100 OnePlus Ones for just $1, as well as the ability to invite their friends to buy the OnePlus One as invites become available.

Once selected, the lucky applicants are expected to record a video of them smashing the phone and upload it to YouTube. In the video, they will introduce themselves, show that the phone is actually working, and be as creative as possible in the smash.

The 100 lucky applicants will receive their OnePlus One smartphones during the first weeks of May. Subsequent invites will begin rolling out later in May. Applicants must reside in one of the 16 countries in which the OnePlus One has launched and be 18 years or older to enter.

About OnePlus

OnePlus is a global technology startup committed to creating beautiful devices with the best possible hardware to ultimately create a better day to day experience for users. Developed around the mantra, ‘Never Settle’, OnePlus aims to disrupt the industry by providing top of the line technology to users around the world. For more information, please visit

Well, I always have old androids laying around.. so I could do it if I wanted the phone. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Yay, the world is full of dumbfucks.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It's a cheap phone anyway, this isn't a $1000 iPhone, just sell the phone and buy a new one?

THIS MAKES SO MUCH SENSE IM GOING TO SMASH MYSELF

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

The contest rules were stated pretty clearly. Anyone stupid enough to just go and destroy their phone like that BEFORE being named a winner should have known better, and would have no one to blame but themselves. Of course, stupid people often find illogical ways to blame the consequences of their actions on others...

Were those fake iphones? they didnt look real at all

Also you have to choose a relatively new phone from a list in order to qualify

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

They accept only high end smartphones to smash..

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

When its something as big as smashing your phone, who on earth only reads it partially?
Who looks at that and goes "uh free phone, something $1, something smash, something video. Time to get the hammer."

Its (potentially) hundreds of pounds being smashed, and they can't be bothered reading the rules...

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Do people even read the rules these days? It only takes them a minute or two to skim over them.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Even so who would smash a brand new M8 or an iPhone for this phone ? Seems retarded !

Expect a spike in stolen phone cases around your area.LOL

I really hate shit like this, what is the fucking point of smashing a perfectly good phone just for one that is newer.

I'm still using my HTC Touch Pro and after around 5 years she is still working, I also still have my O2 XDA Executive which after 9 years is also working phone though she is quite big and bulky but regardless, it still works perfectly as a phone.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Happens all the time, people don't read.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I'm trying to sign up, but they do not have the phone I currently have S1 hahahaha they want the expensive phones smashed.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Amazing, I mean you could easily sell a flagship phone and even if it's pretty beat up you can still use that cash to buy a oneplus one and even have lots of extra cash.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Best part about those three videos is that neither would be accepted. Since they didn't show them to be working.